Who Makes This Reel?

MCTFisher9120

Hey guys I have a friend at the shop that is unloading a bunch of older Penn and mint Abu Garcia round style casting reels at the Bowmanville tackle swap next month. Nearly a dozen and there is this one reel that he could not remember who made it. Lightly used it belonged to his old man back in the day. Here are a half dozen photo's I thought you guys could help me narrow the reel down. There is a small round patch in the frame on the side plate that might of held a sticker back in the day but is completely removed.

Any Ideas??

DSCF4131_zpsd97fe4ca.jpg

DSCF4134_zpsfe89f437.jpg

DSCF4139_zpsc29e9cd9.jpg

DSCF4141_zps77708b13.jpg

DSCF4143_zpsdba55132.jpg

DSCF4144_zps2d9d0502.jpg

The kicker here is the only badge on the reel says JAPAN on the flip side of the reel. Any ideas?? Appreciate all the help!

MTBF

Yup you may be right wolf. Fjord S-106 I think.

He has this reel also, called a American Classic IV Spinning reel. Never felt anything this solid before, has a metal spool the works. It can't be worth 500 bucks anybody have good guesses on this reel, his is near mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebco-Cardinal-4-Reproduction-American-Classic-IV-Spinning-Reel-/251432903760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8a91a450#shpCntId

This looks to me like either an ocean city or true temper reel. Ocean city was bought out by true temper (same company that makes the hardware products) many moons ago. I don't think its too old with the Japan badge. Looks like a 922 or 923

Edited by LesCulpJr

• 9 years later...

Hello,

I know that this thread is quite dated, but I am in search of one of these reels and hoping someone might be willing to sell theirs. I can not see the pictures - but I am searching for the American Classic IV spinning reel, with its original pouch. 

Many thanks,

H

On 1/23/2014 at 9:33 PM, MCTFisher9120 said:

Yup you may be right wolf. Fjord S-106 I think.

He has this reel also, called a American Classic IV Spinning reel. Never felt anything this solid before, has a metal spool the works. It can't be worth 500 bucks anybody have good guesses on this reel, his is near mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebco-Cardinal-4-Reproduction-American-Classic-IV-Spinning-Reel-/251432903760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8a91a450#shpCntId

That reel was a remake of the ABU - ZEBCO reels of the same style, late 1990's? Never took off well, seems to me they were 200 - 300 bucks back then.

https://zebcofishingreels.net/en/american-classic-iv-circa-1997-rare-made-in-usa-zebco-cardinal-4-tribute-limited.php#American Classic IV circa 1997 Rare Made in USA Zebco Cardinal 4 Tribute Limited

On 1/23/2014 at 6:00 PM, MCTFisher9120 said:

Hey guys I have a friend at the shop that is unloading a bunch of older Penn and mint Abu Garcia round style casting reels at the Bowmanville tackle swap next month. Nearly a dozen and there is this one reel that he could not remember who made it. Lightly used it belonged to his old man back in the day. Here are a half dozen photo's I thought you guys could help me narrow the reel down. There is a small round patch in the frame on the side plate that might of held a sticker back in the day but is completely removed.

Any Ideas??

DSCF4131_zpsd97fe4ca.jpg

DSCF4134_zpsfe89f437.jpg

DSCF4139_zpsc29e9cd9.jpg

DSCF4141_zps77708b13.jpg

DSCF4143_zpsdba55132.jpg

DSCF4144_zps2d9d0502.jpg

The kicker here is the only badge on the reel says JAPAN on the flip side of the reel. Any ideas?? Appreciate all the help!

MTBF

Hello MTBF,

I can no longer see your photos, but if this reel matches the photos below - it is very dear to me and I would really love to know if you happen to know where it ended up?  I can tell you all about who made it and how it came to be.  It would have come in a cotton and corduroy pouch, with some jumping trout print - which I hope stayed with it. 

Cheers and kind regards, 

H

On 1/23/2014 at 6:00 PM, MCTFisher9120 said: