Saw something new tonight while pike fishing.....

Canuck2fan

I was pike fishing tonight and decided before going to just grab two dozen minnows, from the local bait guy. For as long as I could remember if you used minnows in this spot you would catch either perch or pike. Since some idiot introduced carp to this area the perch are few and far between for some reason, so I wasn't concerned about them stealing bait.

So I get there after a long trudge from the closest parking area and beging to fish. On my second cast using a minnow under a float. I caught this HUGE 12" rock bass. Which was OK because it put me on the board for 07 with the worlds greatest sport fish. I see a pike surface which was good even though it was too far away for me to get my line near. I select another minnow cast out and the float starts to go under but whatever it is can't quite pull it completely under. I slowly tighten up the line and feel a tug so I go for a light hookset due to the fish being small. I can feel something very light and imagine my surprise when I get it in and there is a catfish about 2" longer than the minnow trying to swallow the 4" minnow. The catfish isn't on the hook at all it just has the minnow in it's mouth. One quick shake and it is off.

I have NEVER seen a catfish take a minnow before tonight that I can remember. Now it wasn't a fluke because except for having on two pike, all the rest of the minnows were eaten or mangled beyond recognition by catfish the biggest of which went about 2lbs..... A lot of the catfish I reeled in where less than twice the length of the minnows. Must be a lot of competition for very little food there now I guess?

Wow...that is kind of funny! The bullhead in our area have hit worms...even large spoons...but not minnows. There's nothing like fishing for salmon, walleye or pike with spoons...to have a bullhead hit it on a fast/medium retrieve...LOL