My start to the long weekend

MJL

I got out this morning to do a little fishing with dad. Conditions weren’t great considering the cooler weather. It was a nice day to be outside to get some Vitamin D. We tried a couple different spots along the harbourfront without much to show for our efforts. Carp and pike were our initial targets and with most of the carp sulking on bottom, it was just pike we were mostly targeting. Mepps, Vibrax, Husky Jerks, X-raps and other lures that looked like pike food were used. I’m not much of a pike fisher-person; I only go out for them 2 to 4 times on average per year so my inventory on lures is quite small. In the last spot we tried, I broke out the fly rod and tried for a couple hours.

8wt rod and nymph taper line (probably not the best line for casting big pike flies into wind). No tapered leaders either for finesse – Straight 15lb mono with a titanium leader + fly at the end. Casting those large Deceiver and Clouser minnows was like trying to fling around an apple on a limp rope – I forgot to clean my fly line which made shooting line the through the guides a little rough. I need to invest in a stripping basket…I had fly line tangled around my feet more than half the time.

Ugliest back-cast ever – Big loop for big and soggy flies.

DSC_1154c.jpg

In the end, we got nothing but the exercise and fresh air was good.

MJL...that pic of you casting is really cool!! That's one thing I'd love to try one day...takes a lot of skill to handle the line like that. Better luck on the fish next time...I'm sure we'll start seeing lots of fish in your next reports!