Pellet Gun

fisherkid4

This is my 1950's era Crosman

When I was a kid in the 50's my dad had a Webley very similar to your Crosman. Must have cost my dad a small fortune paying for the 1000's of pellets we put through that thing :lol:

I bring my 10 year old with me all the time and he carries his .177 cal pellet gun. It is 495 fps but he is too young to legally hunt so he shoots pop cans and other targets.

If I remember correctly, anyone found in the woods with a firearm was deemed to be hunting. Would this apply to an air pistol?

If I remember correctly, anyone found in the woods with a firearm was deemed to be hunting. Would this apply to an air pistol?

A conservation officer won't bother you if it's clear you're target shooting and not hunting as it's 100% legal to target shoot in the bush. This means it would be a good idea to have actual targets with you and zero hunting related equipment such as camo, calls, etc. I'm not sure how a CO would interpret a child with a pellet gun accompanying his father as the 10 year old would be target shooting while the father is hunting.
Time to call the MNR to find out...

From the MNR website:

Question Re: Non-hunter Vs Hunter and Licence Requirements

I am 20 years old and from a family of non-hunters, but I enjoy hunting of all kinds. I don't have many other people to go out deer hunting with, and since it is dangerous to go alone my dad often comes with me for company. He doesn't have a hunting licence, but he enjoys being with me, and dresses in orange just to be safe. We were told that is illegal for him to do this and he can be charged with illegal hunting even if he isn't carrying a gun? How can this be? Aren't crown lands open for everyone to use, not just hunters during hunting season? How can he be charged for simply walking around in the bush with me?

Answer:

This practice is absolutely legal if the non-hunter does not actively participate in the hunt. Let me give you a couple of scenarios to explain this:

• in our hunt camp we have a member who is a non-hunter. On occasion, he goes out with one of the 'doggers', walking alongside him and taking photographs. This is perfectly legal as he is not an integral part of the chase. Equally legitimate, he sometimes sits on a watch with another hunter (only one gun) and takes photos, visits, etc.
  • in the same scenario, if the non-hunter decided that he wanted to walk by himself in the same general area and thus function as an additional 'dogger', then that would mean he is now meeting the definition of "hunt" and would need a licence.

Clearly, anyone can simply walk around on crown (or private, with permission) land but once there is any indication that they are actively involved in 'chasing, pursuing, in search of,.' then they are liable to the requirement for a hunting licence and may be charged if they do not have one - whether or not they have a firearm!

Firearms

Firearms include rifles, shotguns, air or pellet guns, bows and crossbows. You may use semi-automatic or repeating firearms for hunting in Ontario, but not handguns or fully automatic firearms. Air and pellet pistols with a muzzle velocity less than 500 feet per second may be used for hunting in Ontario.

This is from the CFC web site Facts Sheet;

Air Guns

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm

If you own or want to acquire an air gun, here is some information you should know about how the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code apply to them.

Air guns (also known as BB guns, pellet guns, spring guns or air soft guns) fall into three categories:

• air (pneumatic system),
  • spring (spring-air), and
  • gas (CO2/nitrogen).
For purposes of the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code, air guns can be broken down further into the following four categories:

1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code.

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 meters or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). The “muzzle velocity” is the speed of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, normally expressed in metres per second or feet per second. The “muzzle energy” is the energy of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, expressed in joules or foot-pounds. Air guns need to meet both standards to be classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act.

These high-powered air guns are subject to the same licence and registration requirements as a conventional firearm.

You are also required to store, transport, display and handle them safely in accordance with the regulations supporting the Firearms Act.

Usually, the manufacturer’s specifications are used to determine what muzzle velocity and muzzle energy an air gun was designed to have. This information may be available in the user’s manual or on the manufacturer’s web site. If the information is not available, individuals can call 1 800 731-4000 and ask to speak to a firearms technician to find out if the air gun is classified as a firearm for purposes of the Firearms Act.

High-powered air rifles are classified as non-restricted firearms. High-powered air pistols are classified as restricted if their barrel is longer than 105 mm or prohibited if their barrel length is 105 mm or less.

Edited by ch312