nymph flies

bassmaster4

im going fishing for pike this weekend and if the pike arent hugry ill try my luck for brown trout. I want to try nymph flies as i have seen they are quite effective. Are there any specific colors that are better for browns? What is the best size of nymph for the brown trout? These browns I am fishing for are probably no more than 13 inches. The last thing is i am using a spinning rod and reel should i fish them under a float this river is fast moving. Or should i cast and retrieve if so at what speed?

most likely you should "dead drift" your nymphs... you can do this with or without a float... best bets are probably little BH prince nymphs, Pheasant tail nymphs, hares ear nymphs... probably going to have to add some weight onthere too and try sizes 12-18... andything smaller is gonna be real hard to get out there without tangling... You could also try some #8 wooly buggers or so in various "natural" colours... Good luck out there

Bill

Brown and olive hare's ear nymphs, and olive and grey scuds should work well. You can fish them on a casting bubble for greater distance, or below a float like you would roe for steelhead. The best size and colour is the size and colour of that which they are feeding on at that moment. You can either search for a hatch chart of the area you;re fishing, or pick up a a couple each of pheast tails, hare's ears, and czech nymphs in varying sizes and colours to match what's under the stones in the river you are fishing. Keep in mind to drift the flies freely, and that detecting a hit on a fly on a spinning rod is VERY difficult in moving water. You might be better off fishing with spinners, jigs, and small rapalas (in accordance with single-hook policy where required).

BEST 4 NYMPHS BY FAR for wild trout

PHEASANT TAIL (with or withour bead) SIZES 10 - 18

HARES EAR (with or withour bead) same sizes

ZUG BUG (with or withour bead) Same

and finally the PRINCE NYMPH (with or withour bead) SAME

Personally these selection will mimic most insects

Good luck

Dave

Brown and olive hare's ear nymphs, and olive and grey scuds should work well. You can fish them on a casting bubble for greater distance, or below a float like you would roe for steelhead. The best size and colour is the size and colour of that which they are feeding on at that moment. You can either search for a hatch chart of the area you;re fishing, or pick up a a couple each of pheast tails, hare's ears, and czech nymphs in varying sizes and colours to match what's under the stones in the river you are fishing. Keep in mind to drift the flies freely, and that detecting a hit on a fly on a spinning rod is VERY difficult in moving water. You might be better off fishing with spinners, jigs, and small rapalas (in accordance with single-hook policy where required).

what kind of rapalas? as in countdown original floater etc

Edited by bassmaster4

Take your pic! I like the floaters for the narrower profile, but a similar-sized countdown will be a little heavier and thus easier to cast. The countdowns also allow the working of a greater range of depths. Best bet is to buy one or two of each, or more if you like. I particularly like the muddler minnow colour in the countdown, one size up from the smallest for stream trout.