Installing extra seat base in Lund Alaskan? Opinions?

RangerGuy

I ordered an extra seat base with my boat and am just getting around to installing it. I also ordered replacement rivets color matched

to the factory ones so it will look like a factory install. I plan on putting a reinforcement aluminum plate under the floor like they

do in the factory as well

It's the type of base where the middle recesses through the floor. Where I want to install it is basically where the driver

would sit if it's a console instead of a tiller. What concerns me is this area is where all the flotation foam is and these

seat bases have a hole in the middle where water drains.

I called Lund customer service and asked if I need to be concerned with water draining into the flotation foam. The customer

service rep said it would take years and years of being completely soaked for the flotation foam to be come water logged.

Would this concern you or am I just being overly concerned ?

The flotation foam in my Alumacraft did become water logged. So it definitely can happen. In my case, it did not have anything to do with installing an extra seat. I have also been told that newer boats have better foam (my Alumacraft was a 1993 or 94 model).

My boat spent it's summers tied to a dock so it would have been partially filled with rainwater more often than not. And it was 2009 before it sank.

On another note, I am sure where your other seat bases are; but if I had a second passenger in a tiller drive boat I would want them on the port side of the boat.