Temagami -first time

As part of my 18 days August camping/fishing trip I'd like to do the first part (5-6 days) in Temagami. I've heard all kind of good stuff about it but don't know enough to plan my stay there.

Have been trying to get some info over the web from different forums and would like to ask you as well. I am sure many of you have been there camping and fishing.

Looks like a HUGE place. Where do I start?

Where do I launch?

I'll have my 16' Fiberglas boat with 60HP motor. It'll be two adults and 2 kids (2 and 3 years of age).

I understand it is all free camping as it is crown land. No camping permits no fees. Nice concept ;-)

Any suggestions on where to go on that big lake?

Should I worry about underwater rocks etc?

Any camping sites, fishing, waterways maps?

What can I fish for? Lures? Bait?

I'd like to drive the boat as deep inside the lake to a nice remote location with less traffic and good fishing, hopefully with sandy shallow beach for the kids to play in the water.

Anyway...you get the idea...would appreciate all input and advice and personal experience people here have.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

icefisherman use the search feature, this topic has been brought up just recently and I believe Irishfield (Wayne) had some good suggestions on the camping on crown land part.

As far as boating with any lake your unfamilar with get a good map and if unsure ease your way around.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

It's a big lake, just have some versatility in your gear to target from shallow to deep (shallow being 15-20').

Temagami means deep water near shore in Ojibway

Have fun and take lots of pics, it's a very pretty part of the province.

Tony

I'll be camping up that way (not sure if I'll be in Temagami or Lady Evelyn) around that time with my gf. There is a free lanch at the end of the Temagami lake access road, there are marked navigation cannels on the lake but you will want to get a hydro map if you are going exploring. www.temagamivacation.com/maps.htm .... You can fish for lake trout, pike, sm bass, and there are some portages to speck and rainbow lakes. As for locations to I'm still trying to figure that one out too.

I'll be camping up that way (not sure if I'll be in Temagami or Lady Evelyn) around that time with my gf. There is a free lanch at the end of the Temagami lake access road, there are marked navigation cannels on the lake but you will want to get a hydro map if you are going exploring. www.temagamivacation.com/maps.htm .... You can fish for lake trout, pike, sm bass, and there are some portages to speck and rainbow lakes. As for locations to I'm still trying to figure that one out too.

yellowboat,

Does this mean leaving my SUV and boat trailer at the launch parking lot is also free?

What about walleye...I read it should be good fishing for it as well?

It'll be nice to compare notes since we are both going the same way about the same time.

I am in the process of ordering some maps from the Temagami chamber of commerce.

Nice lady there was helping me on the phone.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

dang, i'm gonna be 20mins south of temagami on the 27th of this month at a cottage for the first time.... was hoping to PM wayne, but obviously he won't get my message before we leave... so post up any links you have of that area and if i find anything i'll do the same!!

dang, i'm gonna be 20mins south of temagami on the 27th of this month at a cottage for the first time.... was hoping to PM wayne, but obviously he won't get my message before we leave... so post up any links you have of that area and if i find anything i'll do the same!!

phat bassturd,

here is what I've gathered so far as web info:

http://www.temagamivacation.com/maps.asp

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/discus.cgi

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/na...astaw-index.htm

http://www.smoothwater.com/store.htm

http://www.sunriseadventures.com/books/temagami.php

http://www.temagamifishing.com/

Hope some of that helps you.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I've been on the lake for 3-4 weeks a year since 1984. What I would suggest is to make your first stop in town. Hit DAD'S and make sure you pick up a shoal map and a camp site map. Head back south on #11 for 6 km and turn right on Lake Temagami Access Road. This is a semi-rough gravel road that will take you to the hub or central part of the lake. Saves a long boat ride from town, especially in a west wind it can get really bumpy.

You can launch and park at the Manitou landing. Gas can be purchased at Boat Line Bay Marina and bait and tackle at Camp Adanac, both within a 5 minute ride from the landing.

Fishing in August is good but lakers are very deep and can really only be reached with wire line or downriggers. In some of the deeper holes you can jig for them if the wind is down. DAD's will also have some fishing maps of Lake Temagami.

Make sure to set up camp early in the day as you're in peak canoer season and it is first come first serve for campsites. The hub area is pretty active, lots of tourist lodges and boat traffic. Some areas within easy driving distance and decent fishing are spawning or kokoko bay, shiningwood, cross lake, gibson bay.

Any beaver lodge will have some bass around - hook and worm works good, senkos also. Pike are less common and you'll need to troll a little deeper 20ft + for walleye in August. Worm harnesses will catch pike, walleye and bass.

Do the searches and see if you can get any other fishing reports on Temagmi.

There's also some stuff to do as a family, There's a nice hiking trail on Temgami island and a couple of sand beaches to spend the day. Top end of the lake is Ferguson bay which is like a mini version of Wasaga beach. Long drive but if your camping who cares. Another long drive area but nice camping and fishing is Obabika bay (NW corner ~ 15 miles from hub). All can be foound on a good lake map.

Hi! I'm living in England, but I have a buddy in Ottawa, and last year I was invited on a boys trip to Temagami, 8 of us in 2 cabins, and I'm coming over in a couple of weeks to do it again. It's a beautiful place, I couldn't tell you where to fish, but some of our guys are regulars up here and we had some awesome fishing, but others drew a blank. I wouldn't like camping up there, unless it was inside an oil- drum, JEEZ the black- flies were out! We stayed at Ketch-un-Eny lodge, very nice. We caught fish every day, I held the record with a 4lb walleye, till a 4lb 2 oz sacrificed itself for Canadas honour in the last 5 minutes of the trip :canadian: It'll be my 5th trip to Canada, and I'm looking forward to it.

ANU WHERE FANG SAYS TO FISH IS GOOD YOU CAN GO DOWN TO CROSS LAKE OR UP TO THE NORTH WEST ARM BY OBOKIKA OR ALL THE WAY UP TO SHARP ROCK OR FERGUSON BAY LOTS OF PLACES TO GET SECLUDE AND CATHC FISH

• 11 months later...

hi icefisherman...if your looking for a nice place to swim i would head up to ferguson bay..there is a natural white sand beach there in the shape of a horse shoe..you will find some people will have there house boats anchored there....the water is nice and warm there...if your looking for islands there are many to choose from...in august i would stay close to the main lake..that way you have a good chance of catching fish....the walleye will feed at night on some shelfs usually 20 feet of water...and if you wanna jig some lake trout you can do this all over the lake and really fun to catch this way...rob005.jpg