Shower Tiles -> How to Re-Grout

Entropy

I was looking at the tiles in my bathroom around the bathtub (the shower tiles) it looks like hair-line cracks are developing between the tiles. I have been told I can simply re-grout them.

How does one do this? What products do I need? Any experiences doing this yourself? Or, should I just call someone and have them do it (what would that be worth) ?

I would like to put a surround in but we first need to save some $$ up for fixing the garage. So re-grouting sounds like the best solution to get us through the next 3 to 5 years.

Entropy

then it is more then likely sanded grout and hard as a rock....unsanded grout is alot easier to remove... go to home depot and get a cheap grout saw and your off to the races!

let me know if you have any more questions;

ger.

then it is more then likely sanded grout and hard as a rock....unsanded grout is alot easier to remove... go to home depot and get a cheap grout saw and your off to the races!

let me know if you have any more questions;

ger.

Thanks very much for the info. I guess it will be the week of July 16 that I will be able to do this project.

Thanks agian

Entropy

If the grout lines are narrow sometimes a utility knife works great. Just purchase about a dozen extra blades.

Check to make sure none of the tiles are loose or you are wasting your time re-grouting them. To check just knock on them with your knuckle and you will hear the hollow difference from a tile that is well bonded to the wall.

Good Luck,

Bob

If the grout lines are narrow sometimes a utility knife works great. Just purchase about a dozen extra blades.

Check to make sure none of the tiles are loose or you are wasting your time re-grouting them. To check just knock on them with your knuckle and you will hear the hollow difference from a tile that is well bonded to the wall.

Good Luck,

Bob

There is one loose tile on the outside of the shower curtain, it is a part of the trim tile (if that makes sense). It is long and narrow. I guess I would just pull it off the rest of the way, scrape the adhesive off it and the wall and apply new adhesive. Then do the re-grout. ??

Does that sound right?

Entropy

YES, you got the right idea.

I did a whole wall like that back in December. The long wall had over 300 tiles that had to be scraped off. I replace the wall board but I can tell you it was a BIG job scraping off all those tiles. Bottom line though was $80 in material compared to a $1000 or more if I had to purchase new tiles because the WHOLE bathroom is tiled and I couldn't match new tiles with the old tiles.