oil injection system Johnson v6

steelhead75

i have the automatic oil injection system on my boat, which i have never had before. i have worries about the system breaking down and harming my engine .

was considering disconnecting it and mixing the fuel directly into the main tank on board ( 80 gallon) . was wanting some feed back on the pros and cons of this system and any good and or bad experiences you might have had with this system in the past. i have a low oil alarm and it works fine .

the other question i have is that i want to put a kicker on the boat is it possible to T off the main fuel line for the motor or do i need to use a separate tank. my concern is that the addition might cause an air back flow from the main engine. i was thinking that some kinda check valve or anti back flow would take care of this.

your thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated

What yr is the engine, the vro was improved in 1991? I think and is very reliable, pre 1991 had issues.There is whats called a 3 wire and a 4 wire vro, you want the 4 its the newer version. Nothing wrong with premixing just get a measuring bottle, its the way to go if your oil injection is prone to failure. I mix now and did on my last engine but those are 2.5 litre merc v6's ,not as reliable as newer vro's