Broke an Abu Garcia Veritas rod BPS gave me a new one

Cudz

I broke 1ft of the the tip off my 7' MH veritas while casting a 1/2 oz spinnerbait. It was the rod's first cast of the day. That has never happened to me before. I have broken loads of rods before in about 30 different ways but never on a cast.

The rod carries a 5 yr warranty and I took it back to BPS and the guy told me I would have to deal with manufacturer because it was over the 30 days. I told him no way. I refuse to pay $20 to ship it to them. He then phone the guy in the fishing dept. I think his name was Mike and he said do an exchange. So I got the exact same rod. Hope this doesn't happen again.

BPS customer service comes through yet again for me. That is two broken rods and two replacements.

Edited by Cudz

Abu rods and breaking, what's new.

Good to hear they swapped it out for a new one right there, this taking the rod or reel to the manufacturer within the warranty period on your own dime is bull.

You get as so much a scratch on the face of your driver bought from

Golf Town and the'll jump through hoops to exchange it or at least send it back to the service depot on their own dime and lend you a replacement at the while there. About time other places, especially in the fishing industry adopt a similar customer service policy for items still under warranty.

Abu rods and breaking, what's new.

Good to hear they swapped it out for a new one right there, this taking the rod or reel to the manufacturer within the warranty period on your own dime is bull.

You get as so much a scratch on the face of your driver bought from

Golf Town and the'll jump through hoops to exchange it or at least send it back to the service depot on their own dime and lend you a replacement at the while there. About time other places, especially in the fishing industry adopt a similar customer service policy for items still under warranty.

You think Future shop would just give you a new tv etc.? Retailers don't make the product, set warranty policy or determine whether a claim will or will not be honored, thats why you have to return most anything to the manufacturer. You realize that if a retailer exchanged something and the manufacturer denied the claim that the retailer has then paid for a product and has neither money or a saleable item to show for it? ergo the reason its common to have to deal with whoever provided the warranty. Edited by hirk

You think Future shop would just give you a new tv etc.? Retailers don't make the product, set warranty policy or determine whether a claim will or will not be honored, thats why you have to return most anything to the manufacturer. You realize that if a retailer exchanged something and the manufacturer denied the claim that the retailer has then paid for a product and has neither money or a saleable item to show for it? ergo the reason its common to have to deal with whoever provided the warranty.

In response to your scenario, 110% yes!!! if I buy a TV from Future shop within a certain period of time (30 days or longer with extended warranty) then I can bring that TV back for at least an exchange if it clunks out on me.

I think you do not have any idea of how some systems work within retail – the reverse logistics involved when a customer brings back a defective product to the point of purchase, in some instances (like Future shop and Best buy) there are channels to send that TV back to the manufacturer or a 3rd party that will fix the product, resell it or even destroy it, after the customer leaves with a similar or an upgraded product.

Retailers are becoming more understanding of how valuable their customers are, and have systems in place to make the customer experience more pleasant when returning products for warranty issues. It’s about time that the larger retailers in the fishing industry adopt some of these policies as customer acquisition and retention becomes more and more varied and challenging to maintain especially in the GTA with so much competition.

Edited by Chotchkies House

larger retailers have an easier time absorbing returns/warranties than small businesses, it is what it is...a lot of returns are basically just customer abuse returns

i try to shop with locally owned businesses first but if not, the large box store with the best return/warranty policy tends to get my business...ie: not all fishing stores honour shimano over the counter warranty