Fishing Trip Planning Tool

gordy28

Hey there,

As head researcher (a non paid role :)) I was searching for a way to present the wealth of options available to our group

I built an excel spreadsheet (what can i say I use it a lot for work and love excel)

The goal was to highlight options, give guys a choices out there and highlight some of the criteria (cost, comfort, fishing, remoteness, links, even OFC and other forum ) to help form a decision - its been helpful for me and the group I think.

Had trouble posting excel but here is a PDF

Note - ratings, info etc are just my thoughts/opinions - yours may differ and thats cool.

Cheers

Gordy

2014 trip evalofnv.pdf

Just a few random thoughts.

It's a good idea, but you should get more specific. Have a category for each specific destination which includes price for each trip plus estimated travel costs and travel time.

Right now it's maybe too ambiguous.

Second, I hadn't realized you were considering Quetico. I'm intimately familiar with that park and can help you out a lot if that's a serious option.

Third you had a few different outfitters on your list for outpost trips. Hands down the best is Mattice Lake Outfitters. Wilderness Air is good too but much more involved getting to the jump off point. True North for your information is currently not in business. So unless things change if you want to fish Kesagami you have to do it through the lodge on Kesagami lake. As much as I love some of the other outfitters on your list the experience they offer isn't even close to what MLO does.

If you fly to Thunder Bay and rent a car for the week the trip to Armstrong isn't really all that daunting. Bear in mind many of these outfitters will offer to shuttle their guests from Thunder Bay to the jump off point and back. It's definitely worth inquiring about.

So you can do all that, make a new spreadsheet and go over the possible options with your group. OR just ask me LOL!

Edited by Mike Borger

Gord it is a solid idea if looking to easily put everyone on the same page with info gathered. Personally though. in an email or letter you could simplify but just stating...

Boois.... blah, blah, blah, blah...

Kesagami.... blah, blah,

Quetico... blah, blah, blah.

Your Kesagami info is a little off Gord. Drive 9 hours to Cochrane, fly... maybe find other options other than the lodge and prices may vary. but that said... I think this spreadsheet is simply an idea you're looking for input on right? I don't know about some of the other places mentioned, but I'd have a hard time believing ya Mike that the experience isn't "even close" to the other places. Although, remoteness and being away from others on less pressured waters does come into play if choosing the lodge and their open months, I guess.

I don't know about some of the other places mentioned, but I'd have a hard time believing ya Mike that the experience isn't "even close" to the other places. Although, remoteness and being away from others on less pressured waters does come into play if choosing the lodge and their open months, I guess.

I'm familiar with all of the outfitters on that list. Just my opinion obviously, but an informed one nonetheless.

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback! I left out a few pieces of the sheet as I didn't think it would be useful for the purpose of sharing in case others wanted to use the format. It also included a rating scale for each "type" of trip. Once we had our top two types based on the groups votes we went into much greater depth for each area. The sheet was really to say here's 4 types of trips we have chatted about and here is a ballpark of the ins and outs which is why it's really high level and some pieces are a tad off.

Mike our pms have been post the tool being shared. We are now researching specific opps within the type if trips and budget range the sheet narrowed down. Alas Quetico, Armstrong and Kesagami are out. Too far for the first two and Kesagami lodge is to $$$$(and we weren't keen on the partridge outpost option.

In terms of feedback the sheet has served its purpose for us but thought it may help others start or they could use the format /concept

Cheers

Gordy

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Armstrong. You might be surprised how inexpensive a return flight to Thunder Bay is. Once you factor in gas savings by not driving, plus the shortness and convenience of it, it starts to sound pretty good. Especially if an outfitter like MLO is willing to shuttle you back and forth. In these tough times most outfitters, at least the good ones, will go the extra mile to ensure a booking. It never hurts to ask!