Lake Ontario Kings and the Start of GOSD

I had a great time fishing with family and friends the past week, and the derby has just begun. I got out solo a couple of times as well. All short trips about a few hours long first thing in the morning. It has not been gangbusters for the most part, but the early morning has been good. I had my brother out fishing just before the GOSD. That was great, as he hasn't fished with me in years. He is lucky and always seems to get the biggest fish. I told him to buy a derby ticket! He got the biggest fish of the last week in my boat. I don't know how big as I didn't weigh it, but more than 27bs. I weighed a couple at 27lbs before the derby to check the size. Lots of fish in the 20-25lb range to be had right now, and I hear lots of people getting tyees. I plan to fish most Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings early and be off the water by 9am to spend time with my family.

The past week I fished Bronte, PC and TO. Found them in depths from 60- to 250-feet, down 60- to 140. I had to keep changing stuff up, as Dipsys were cold, then good, copper worked at times etc. The only consistent bite I've had is off riggers. Coyote flashes and flies were working best for me until Sunday of the GOSD, then it was a frog racer Coyote flasher and meat off 400 copper specifically. Seemed to be the most consistent rod that day. I had a buddy Andy out fishing before the derby and my brother. When the derby started, I had my friends Fred and Mario out. Good times, although nothing to weigh in yet. It was frantic action at first light and tough to get all rods out lol. That didn't last long though, then we had to work for them until we quit at 9am.

Enjoy some of the photos.

BronteKing_01.jpg

LakeOKings_01.jpg

LakeOKings_02.jpg

LakeOKings_03.jpg

LakeOKings_04.jpg

LakeOKings_05.jpg

LakeOKings_06.jpg

LakeOKings_07.jpg

LakeOKings_08.jpg

LakeOKings_09.jpg

LakeOKings_10.jpg

LakeOKings_11.jpg

LakeOKings_12.jpg

LakeOKings_13.jpg

LakeOKings_14.jpg

LakeOKings_15.jpg

LakeOKings_16.jpg

LakeOKings_17.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the salmon fishing continues to be good.

Young_One, I rely on Gamakatsu 2X strong size 1 treble for my meat rigs with 30lb Sufix fluorocarbon. I don't use the 4X because I don't want to add too much weight so I get a nice roll.

For flies (I prefer to tie my own with quality gear and make my leads the length I want), I use Gamakatsu 5/0 Octopus hook for the top hook, and 4X strong treble for bottom hook. Tied with 50lb Sufix fluorocarbon. I haven't had any issues since switching to this. I had issues with the factory packaged flies.

Good fishing!