A Little help planning a trip

Cookslav

Just looking for any advice on decent camps sites either in Massasauga park or just outside.

I'm taking the plunge and organizeing a family camping trip with the Wife, Kids, neices, and brothers.

Looking to boat in and tent it for a weekend....

Right now I'm more or less leaning towards Opeongo in Algonquin, but I remember seeing some decent sites years ago on BlackStone, and some crown land camps along Arnolds bay that came to mind...but it was years ago.

Right now I am just having trouble locating any decent maps, or any current info on the camp sites access or launch/parking fees etc....

I could launch at Moon river marina or Petes place I suppose etc....doesn't matter really.

I'm just looking for a decent sized boat access camp site.

Opeongo In AP will do, I'm just wondering if its worth looking elsewhere while I have some time to plan.

I'm open to suggestions as well....Just bare in mind its a friday dinner hour arrival and Sunday afternoon departure trip with young children and wives whom have NEVER camped outside of a trailer park LOL....

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

it's further up the road, but the French River might be the answer, some sections are good in the sense you don't feel like you're in a Prov. Park

the Friday to Sunday thing is going to be a traffic nightmare and might make you lean towards Massasauga

Hello, First of all i have to say is Good On You, its tough to setup a trip with kids, wife's and friends.; But, if you were talking about setting this up for this Friday ie June 28 you better

pull up your pants and make some calls and decide quick, sometimes even Parry Sound gets stacked up and you will not be able to find a reservation or even walk ins, basically im saying that

with most of the Ontario Parks, they fill and get booked early, some people even book there camping vacations in March For August Dates..Having said that Massasauga park still has alot of available sites, If you have been there before you know its Skies,Eyes,S/LMB Heaven...Stick with your gut but don't get caught with your pants down, pull out the credit card and reserve your family vacation,

so you dont get disappointed....I can relate as i have done the very same thing you are doing i however failed i still had time to find another park but it was the sense of disappointment that got to me.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/mass.html

Thanks Chris,

We thought about the French but it might be a bit far?...Opeongo was kind of the limit for us (Comming from Kitchener)

My Brother was just there 2 weeks ago and said it would fit the bill other then the distance.

Its still on the table as the fishing was apparently great LOL....

Fish,

We're not going until late July...

I'm pretty familiar with AP but just wondered about some other potential options before I commit and book it.

I plan to book my permits next week, or decide on a crown land trip....just figured it can't hurt to ask the community :canadian:

Site 204 Massassauga PP in Clear Bay may be worth considering. I have not stayed there but my son and I portaged and paddled by the site when we did a day trip loop from Clear Lake 6 years ago. Its on the Georgian Bay Side and accessible from Pete's place I assume. It is in a sheltered back bay and across from the site there is a 240m portage into Clear Lake which may provide a good fishing option if you bring a canoe. The campers there had a couple of tinnies with outboards. It is not remote- some cottages around and boat traffic as well.

Below is link to some specific campsite info/ratings for site 204 and others.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bcaron/campsite.html

www.myccr.com may also have some useful MASS PP info.

204 ****

I1-11.8

Very nice site. 3 levels, Good wood supply. Soft tent pads(2 or 3). Fair swimming.
Beautiful reverse sunset on quiet bay. No bugs, close to portage to Clear, very peaceful, good docking.