Help needed on LED Trailer Light

ra95

LED Trailer light issue

My trailer LED light doesnot work on Left Turn and Both Break.

At Parking light, all LED lights (including running) are on.

So I go to UHaul without trailer to test my car wiring: everything works good on UHaul Trailer.

Tested on the Resistance:

White+Brown: 200

White+Yellow and White+Green: no Resistance, looks like broken?

Tested the Voltages:

At car wiring, when emergency light flashing, both left and right side output is from 2.5V to 9.5V. At the same time, tested on the left light (cut the wire to expose the voltage.): The voltage is transferred correctly to the trailer light.

Link the wiring plug directly to 12V car power, if white+brown is connected, running light is ON. (Good) if white+yellow or white+green: no light at all.

Question:

How LED trailer light works? Why I see both at parking switch on and see right turn light, but I see no brake light and no left turn light? Why even I give the right turn light 12V directly it doesnot show on?

Any thoughts? Thanks? Should I change both LED back to normal bulb so that there is no fancy IC in the lights?

Your trailer has a 4 wire plug correct? Then the wire used for the turn signal and brake light for each side is the same (yellow, green), so if the turn signal is working for that side, then so should the brake light. Could you possibly have one of the LED lights mis-wired so that it is affecting the other one when the voltage is applied for the brake lights to both sides simultaneously? I would try to completely disconnect the left side light (the one with no turn signal working) and see if your right side light then works correctly for all functions (parking, brake, and turn), and then try reconnecting the left light again making sure the wires are correct.

Edited by Greg_B

Greg, I think I should cut off left light and re-test.

But a friend said it may be modulite (wire harness adapter) issue ...

This trailer worked fine for 1.5 years and I did not re-wire... so I assume there is something aged broken due to winter or water ...

Will keep you post. It is not easy to tow around for repairing when there is a boat on it all the time :*(

But I really do not understand shorelandr' trailer light: why the LED light is not on while I applied 12V directly onto it? The old time bulb is really good ... it doesnot use any fancy IC inside ...

Not sure how you did this? Did you hook up 12V right at the light using a common ground between the light and the 12V source? If it doesn't work in this kind of test I would think that the light is bad internally.

So it worked fine before you swapped to LEDs now it doesn't work? I just installed LED's on my ShoreLand'r, everything works just fine.. It should have been a very straight forward swap.. 3 wires per light...

If everything was working fine before the swap, the trailer wiring is just fine.. You probably wired the lights incorrectly.

Edited by BillM

It was the original LED from the package purchased at 2011. I purchased a new LED to replace the left one. hopefully it ends all the puzzel.

The boss of the trailer depot states similar clusion: If a light is not on with a 12V directly connected onto it, this light is broken. But if this LED is broken, why it is ON when I turn on Parking light? He got no answer...

It was the original LED from the package purchased at 2011. I purchased a new LED to replace the left one. hopefully it ends all the puzzel.

The boss of the trailer depot states similar clusion: If a light is not on with a 12V directly connected onto it, this light is broken. But if this LED is broken, why it is ON when I turn on Parking light? He got no answer...

Maybe the IC or whatever is inside the light is broken somehow. So with 12V on the brown wire (parking lights) it works fine (lower brightness), but with the brake/signal wire the light doesn't work (full brightness).