fixing a rod

FinS

I had the same thing happen to my old rod. If it was one of the top ones it would be just easy to buy a replacment. Not sure about the second ring tho. Mine peeled off all the way and there was pretty much nothing I could do, I tried to weld it but it wouldn't hold but since yours is peeling off maybe you still have a chance. Other than that buy a new rod.

It's a EASY fix. Go to a tackle shop and ask for guide winding thread in the color of your choice.

The proper way is to strip all the old windings off and start new.

Tape on the guide to the pole using just a bit of tape close to the guide hole. Put the new line through a heavy book and start winding on the thread about a half inch from the said guide and wind OVER the starting end so it stays in place. Wind up and over the foot of the guide. When your about a quarter inch from the end take another piece of thread about 8-10 inches long and fold in half to make a loop on one end. Now lay this loop on the pole opposite of the guide foot and wind over it and the rest of the guide foot. When your at the end of the guide foot cut the line and put it through the loop you made with that piece of thread. Now start to pull that loop so it just starts to pull the thread you cut UNDER the windings you did over the guide foot. Now cut the thread tag as it's being held under the windings. Your now ready to pull fast so that the end line winding is buried under the winding and your done except to coat the winding with something like color preservative or clear nail polish or whatever. If you were making a new rod you would protect the winding with a color preservative and then coat with a polymer finish. But for just one guide it's not worth the extra expense.

If the thread is still holding the guide fairly secure...just get some 5 minute epoxy glue...mix up a dab ( you can thin it with a couple drops of rubbing alcohol) & simply brush on a layer. It will penetrate the thread & you'll be good to go for a long time.

Otherwise, you'll have to re-wrap the guide & follow the above steps. If you think you need more working time, you can get "30 minute" epoxy glue.

this saves buying "rod finish"...epoxy glue will discolor over time with exposure to the sun,but,it'll work fine.