Advice for fishing BC in August?

dbick

Hey,

I'm heading out west August 16-21 for a wedding. Hope to do some fishing but don't have a clue what I can fish for/ what is good that time of year. Will be traveling to the island and mission bc already!! If anyone can help that would be great!

Dangler

If you're in Mission, fish the Fraser, Harrison and Chilliwack. Sturgeons will be on the Fraser and the Harrison and while you can fish from shore, your chances will be much better in a boat. Chilliwack has a small run of red Chinook salmon but they get dark fairly quick and the run is very water level dependent. This is a Pink year and mid August is the peak of the run. There will be tons of fish with fresh fish coming in on each tide. These you can catch from shore and they bite very well. If you fly, bring a 5-6 wt with intermediate sink-tip line a bunch of pink marabou flies. Bare Foot is right on the socks and Chinooks coming up the Fraser, but check for openings as they may or may not happen. There are also a bunch of lakes near Mission and they all have stocked rainbow trout. If you really miss Ontario, you can fish Whonnock for crappies. No one really targets them there and so you won't have much competition. The island is mainly a trout/bass and ocean fishery in June as the salmon won't be returning yet. PM me and I'll fill you in on some of my old stomping grounds. Good luck!!

Save up for a days charter for sturgeon. You'll catch a few. Find a few others planning to attend the wedding and make a day or two of it.

Travelled there twice at that time of year. Chinooks will be running in the Fraser. Sturgeon catches are good. It's an odd year this year so there will be a pink salmon run too.

Ohhh... and post a report when you get back.

I forgot it was a pink year....you should have a great trip...a guide will pretty much guarantee catching fish but can be pricey...the vedder is easy access and easy for a tourist to find good water....squamish has some nice rivers if you want to drive an hour north of van

IMG_0462.JPG

If you want to catch something cool, try the sturgeon on the fraser. You can catch all the salmon you want right here at home. I fished with STS guiding service out of chilliwak and had an amazing day of fishing. Well worth the money spent. Awesome equipment, and amazing boat! Get a few people from the wedding and book a group.

Its one of the only places they measure fish in feet, not inches ;)

S.