1 piece rod & reel carrier

d_paluch

Hey everyone.

Long story short I got a nice 7foot rapala rod for Christmas and a nice new shimano baitcaster.

It does not fit comfortably in my mazda3, but I do have roof racks that I carry my portaboat on.

I have seen rod holders, buy I would like to buy/make something so I don't have to take it apart every time.

What have you guys made or have seen?

pvc pipe, screw on cap and u bolts...bolted on to my old truck rack, might still have a picture

That was my thought too, easy and quick. But you must have used fairly thick diam. PVC, no? Did you line the inside with anything, or did you just put a cover over the reel?

I used the white stuff, it was 6" diamater I think, got it for free, left over on a job...very sturdy, stood up to rocks and low hanging branches

I cut a piece of foam to fit the inside the end and then glued it in place...used my reel cover and rod sock when inside the tube

you could make the screw on cap locking as well

Edited by bare foot wader

Sorry, I have a really hard time believing that you can't put a 7' rod not a Mazda 3. I drive a small sedan and have put rods up to 7'9 into the car.

Open your passenger door, point the rod tips in towards the back passenger seat and slide em in. the reel ends up being near your passenger seat floor mat. if you have a passenger for the day, just make sure they are careful about stepping on any of the fishing gear. I rarely ever go anywhere fishing with my fishing rods collapsed. (I don't river fish . lol)

Spend that money you planned on spending on the rod holder on more fishing gear!

Edited by EC1

Sorry, I have a really hard time believing that you can't put a 7' rod not a Mazda 3. I drive a small sedan and have put rods up to 7'9 into the car.

Open your passenger door, point the rod tips in towards the back passenger seat and slide em in. the reel ends up being near your passenger seat floor mat. if you have a passenger for the day, just make sure they are careful about stepping on any of the fishing gear. I rarely ever go anywhere fishing with my fishing rods collapsed. (I don't river fish . lol)

Spend that money you planned on spending on the rod holder on more fishing gear!

But I have a portaboat and have to stuff a lot of crap in there, as well as bring the girlfriend along.

I never said I couldn't fit it, I implied I didn't want to fit it :P

Personally, I don't like the idea of rods and reels left out in the elements. If you've got a roof rack, I'd much rather leave the porta boat up on top of the car, and everything else inside the car. I'm also guessing the logistics are different as I put a canoe on top of my car and it's pointed tip helps with cutting the wind, while you have a folded down piece of metal. Anyways, get 'er done the way you want, and the best of luck doing it!

Might I suggest a 2" pvc tube for the roof rack with bungiee cords. Use a piece of 1" thermocell on the rod before inserting and you are bullet proof on damage. Remove the reel and store inside the car. Price is extremely cheap.

Art

Might I suggest a 2" pvc tube for the roof rack with bungiee cords. Use a piece of 1" thermocell on the rod before inserting and you are bullet proof on damage. Remove the reel and store inside the car. Price is extremely cheap.

Art

That might be the way I go! I'd prefer to keep it assembled, but I'd need about 6inch tubing, a bit of overkill :P

I lied again. Rod is labeled 7 foot and will squeeze into my car between driver and passenger seat. Time to make a holder on the inside roof, I'll update this thread with what I come up with