Lake Vernon

Smed

Hey Guys,

I am going to a friend's trailer this weekend and seeing as it is pike opener I was wondering where on Lake Vernon is a good place to launch. We are staying just north of Hunters bay. During the day I will be fishing for pike and I also heard that Vernon has Lake Trout in it, where would I try for them or is the whole lake generally deep and easy to fish. Also is there anywhere in paticular to try for walleyes in the evening. I am not asking people to give me their hidden secrets just areas that could lead me in the right direction in order to have a somewhat successful weekend.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance,

Smed

Lake Vernon has some excellent pike fishing, with huge pike in shallow this time of year. About 10 years ago the odd walleye was caught (they had been stocked in Buck Lake and a few must have drifted down the river into Lake Vernon), but they didn't reproduce and as far as I know there haven't been any caught recently. I don't have much experience with lake trout there, other than marking a lot of what I assume were lake trout on a drop-off from 5' to 100' in the summer... couldn't get whatever they were to bite! I think the lake trout population is pretty low.

For pike, try just off the weeds along the stretch where the mouth of the Big East River enters. It drops from 5' to 25' along there and there, and I've almost always had luck trolling along it. There's also a big weedy bay a little further west from the mouth of the Big East... usually there isn't much there during the summer, but you might have luck now. Another good spot to try would be any transition from weed to rock near the islands (or anywhere on the lake for that matter). One final spot I'd suggest is the weedy bay in the southwest corner of the lake, again this bay has disappointed in summer, but might be good this early.

The pike in Lake Vernon eat a lot of rock bass, so if they're around chances are a pike will be too (this is also why weedy bays that look promising can produce surprisingly poor results on Vernon)! I've also noticed that the pike in Vernon are almost never concentrated in one area, so I suggest you don't hammer away at any one spot... move around and try different presentations.

If there's one point to emphasize on Lake Vernon it's that weed/rock transitions produce well.

Thanks for the help guys,

As for the walleye I do know that they came a long time ago from buck lake however another lake in the area, not going to mention the name as those around will already know, had the same situation and they have been reproducing in mass numbers with more and more caught by.. well me... every year. Maybe reproduction in Vernon is different from that lake or maybe they keep moving along the waterway, regardless of the situation I will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks again,

Smed

PS if anyone else has info keep it coming because I will need all the help I can get since I have never been to Vernon :rolleyes: