I always get skunked, until I catch the big one!!

Angel_Fish

My man and my best friend decided to do one last stint out on Simcoe this weekend.  We went out to a favourite spot of "lickmyarmpit" that he had marked on his GPS at the beginning of the ice season.  It wasn't a far walk, but being a typical female I razzed him about if he even knew where he was going, how far it was and are we there yet?  Hahaha.  It a mental game I like to play when we go fishing.  We all know I am gonna get the big one in the end.....

Finally, he says "This is it" and I start baiting up my Ugly Stick.  The boys are drilling some holes and typically, I am the last one to the auger.  Urghhh, this is the part I hate. I have barely any coordination to turn this damn thing.  I take a few turns and he takes a few turns and then my best friend finishes it off.  Gotta love the men in my life, they are so accomodating!!

The boys and I are all set up and its pretty beautiful out.  The sun is shining and its about 3 degrees outside.  We minnow up our lines and the race is on.  Its always a contesrt with these two!   They both come out of the gates, bite after bite and I am left jigging after they both pull up at least 8-10 perch.  I'm not saying they were huge perch, but catching is definitely more fun than jigging. Agreed?

About an hour into it, I finally get a bite and pull up a little bugger.  Sheeesh, really?  I toss it back, its puney and the fish gods are obviously angry with me.  I start to pray...seriously!  I catch another and this one is a keeper, I can't have no fish in my pile as the boys already have enough meat for Good Friday dinner.  I merely have a snack at this point.

I am getting bite after bite and can't seem to hook this fish.  I am thinking its a herring as my man hooked one about 30mins earlier and it certainly doesn't feel like a puney perch, which by the way is all that seems to be coming up the boys holes.  

Another bite and the rod tip goes down, I let the fish at the other end get a good hold of it as I have lost a few already from being over zealous.....the rod tip jerks down and I almost lose hold of it.  I snap my Ugly Stick up and I got him!  Whats this??   My drag is screaming a little...off of a perch?  I must have a herring too, I think to myself.  I finally reel this fish up to the hole and wouldn't you know it....Perchzilla.  12.5" and a fatty to boot!   I am one lucky Angel

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/angel_fish28/2013-03-24053302-2_zps41fbcfcc.jpg[/img]