Cut and Paste 2 ... Return of the Cork.

Garry2Rs

Last week I finished a new rod.

x2007_zps97808e72.jpg

Burnt Orange and Gold Toger-wrap.

x2006_zps87d7f5e7.jpg

Yesterday I cut and glued some pieces and today I turned the first part of a new laminated split-grip handle.

For the picture I have it modeling a casting reel seat, but It could be used on a spinning rod just as easily.

Whichsideshouldbeup003-Copy_zps452d074c.

Whichsideshouldbeup004-Copy_zpsf100c6cf.

I'm unsure which side should be "up" however I'm leaning toward puting the wide panel on the side.

Whichsideshouldbeup006_zpse454914b.jpg

Garry2R's

Interesting looking grip. That looks like one that can't be set in place until you know how it feels while palming a reel. I'm thinking it would be angled a little to one side or the other to let the flat part sit on your hand. Have you ever seen Stan Mclean's hammer spin seats? nice idea that i always wanted to try but never did mostly because i don't use spinning gear much. It's not exactly the same but similar in that it has flat sides.

The handle is bullet shaped. If you are see flat areas, it's an optical illusion.

The pictures are out of order...Number 5, the last picture, is the side view of the number three, rotated a quarter turn to bring the trigger into view..

The little pedestal at the pointy end will be removed in finishing.

I have seen a picture of Stan McLean's Hammer handle grip...The idea has merit, but it's butt-ugly...grin.

I use Aero and Fuji IPSM seats on my personal rods. In both cases down locking to keep my hand on top of the handle, and away from the locking threads. I tried a Fuji VSS in size 16, but found it too small for my hand. The size 17 might do the trick. However, I have gone away from the both the Fuji IPSM and VSS seats because of the special cork that's needed. By the time you buy the cork, you're up to the cost of the Aero seat. On top of that some of the cork I've had has needed a lot of trimming and fitting...

Ah, I was wondering what the little disk at the end of your grip was for. I thought maybe you were using drawer knobs or plumbing parts as winding checks.

Yeah, the look of Stan's seat takes some getting used to but i'll bet the ergonomics are amazing. not only is it a natural grip shape, it can also be shaped to fit your hand exactly. The other nice feature is the bare blank running the entire length down the top under your hand.

I also like the feel of Aero, that hump in the middle makes it super comfortable. I've seen a few knockoffs of that seat but haven't tried any. The wiebe/schaeffer seats made famous by GLoomis are popular if you can find them. Lately, I've only built casting rods for myself so shaping grips around a VSS hasn't been a problem. :D Yeah, a 17 is usually what i use for spinning rods, the 16's are too small to be comfortable all day. On the other hand, a 16 casting seat is perfect for most people. ..took a pic of the last spin rod i made with an aero seat but i don't see a button to attach it. ..oh well.

Edited by j ace

The handle is turned on a steel mandrel To keep everything tight, I use a collar clamp, with a washer, on one end and a washer and nut on the other. To protect the tools there is a sacrificial piece of scrap cork on the ends. These rings are trimmed off in finishing.

Those Wieber / Schaeffer "Super Sticker" grips were very pretty. Mud Hole has closed them out, but I think Cabela's is still offering a couple of sizes.

Garry