*advice*Im looking for a spey reel

azebra

Hello and good morning all you OFNers! I hope everyone is doing well this winter.

Well Im starting this topic because I think I need a little advice on buying a spey reel, Ive decided to jump rite into spey fishing and skip that switch rod thingie..So, in about a weeks time I'll have a grey's G series spey rod, and Im only getting it because of the price, its cheap! I'll be getting it in 13' #8 and havent the slightest clue as to what reel would match that with out spending much more then $150. is that possible? I like the greys gx500 but is that a single hand only reel? Im so lost and advice as to witch reel I should be looking into would rock! or, if any of you know someone selling a used one... please help me! Im just starting out spey fishing Iv been fly fishing for years so I have that down... and I am on a budget.. like a college budget without a student loan in the bank..

thanks in advance! you all are awesome!

Any reviews here about the Echo Ion?

Edited by azebra

I have an Ion - the largest size (10/12). In hindsight i should have gone with the smaller one (8/10) as the biggie isn't full with 250m of GSB, running line and a 540 Compact Skagit head, it does balance nicely though. It seems decent enough, sorry to say i haven't really tested on anything big yet :(

Have you bought the Greys rod yet? If not, and you're on a budget, look at used gear somewhere like Speypages - lots of good stuff crops up regularly- the Echo rods are supposedly pretty good and show up quite a bit on there. For lines, go with a Skagit setup, easier to learn with - most of the manufacturers have recommended lines for a given rod (this is the Airflo one for example http://www.rajeffsports.com/spey_chart.pdf) - just go with what's in the table :)

You don't have to go all out and buy a "spey" reel, all you need to do is make sure the reel has a solid drag and the capacity to hold the large diameter line.

Are you going to be running a Skagit, Scandi, or traditional setup?

Buy yourself a float rod and reel instead, and spend time catching fish instead of worrying if the other anglers will rotate the pool with you..... They won't!

Not always about catching a boatload, I switched over to skagit last fall and had an absolute blast while catching far fewer fish... I still get they float rod out as often as I can, but if it's a trip to nice spey water that's the rod I'm bringing.

On my 6wt Skagit rod I run a 9/10 Hardy Uniqua, fantastic little reel.

This picture is the reel on my 9wt - the Hardy holds my 625 grain skagit head as well...

Have fun, and watch out for early season chinnies....they're angry

Untitled.jpg

Edited by kemper

Not always about catching a boatload, I switched over to skagit last fall and had an absolute blast while catching far fewer fish... I still get they float rod out as often as I can, but if it's a trip to nice spey water that's the rod I'm bringing.

I have been a steelheader for over 25 years. I went through a fly rod evolution..... It sucks! And it's much harder to catch fish!! It does make you feel good for a bit, even makes you feel more "evolved" than the average angler.... Didn't take me long to realize that it's an inefficient way to catch fish, and that I was no more evolved than the average bait fisherman, cept my nose was slightly higher in the air. I have nothing against guys who want to do it, so long as they have no expectation that I will move so they can "rotate through" a hole. If they want to sit on a rock and smoke cigars and drink from a flask while I pound fish, and they comment on how barbaric my methods are... That's ok with me though!!

I have been a steelheader for over 25 years. I went through a fly rod evolution..... It sucks! And it's much harder to catch fish!! It does make you feel good for a bit, even makes you feel more "evolved" than the average angler.... Didn't take me long to realize that it's an inefficient way to catch fish, and that I was no more evolved than the average bait fisherman, cept my nose was slightly higher in the air. I have nothing against guys who want to do it, so long as they have no expectation that I will move so they can "rotate through" a hole. If they want to sit on a rock and smoke cigars and drink from a flask while I pound fish, and they comment on how barbaric my methods are... That's ok with me though!!

sounds like maybe somebody didn't catch many fish on the swing :sarcasm: LOL

plenty of pinners complain about being low holed by other pinners

I've fished an Ion, it's a good reel, good value, echo has a good warranty system...i've heard about those Allen reels, they sound like a sweet deal

any large reel will do with a half decent drag...don't need to bust the bank on...the hipwader forum has a 99% ON membership with a lot of GTA folks, might score a local deal if you check the classifieds there

"I have been a steelheader for over 25 years. I went through a fly rod evolution..... It sucks! And it's much harder to catch fish!! It does make you feel good for a bit, even makes you feel more "evolved" than the average angler.... Didn't take me long to realize that it's an inefficient way to catch fish, and that I was no more evolved than the average bait fisherman, cept my nose was slightly higher in the air. I have nothing against guys who want to do it, so long as they have no expectation that I will move so they can "rotate through" a hole. If they want to sit on a rock and smoke cigars and drink from a flask while I pound fish, and they comment on how barbaric my methods are... That's ok with me though!!"

too each his own and if you're catching tons more fish than good on ya.

guy was looking for a reel suggestion, sheesh.

as for etiquette, I've seen enough of that along the credit.

Edited by registerfly

I have the Ion bought it last fall...Unfortunately only had it out on one trip but it handled some hard fighting salmon up in Thunder Bay just fine.

Its 8/10 and it suits my 7 w switch rod just fine. Am currently running a skagit head 500 grains.

I really like swinging flies but don't get a lot of time unfortunately. Anyways I don't think you can beat the price on the Ion.

and I actually started centerpinning years before I ever flyfished, so I usually fish weekdays, and if i am swinging flies I can and dont mind fishing alone with no one in the run/poos, and the great thing about skagit style spey fishing is.. i can use my sink tips or sone shot, and dead dripe or fish behind a rock without bugging the others,,its not always about the 'swing' but thanks :)