Algonquin Park

suds

Hey Fisher folk,

My neighbour extended me the last minute invite ( his buddy bailed and my wife is very nice :clapping: ) to go to Lake of two rivers: Mew Lake campsite, Friday thru Sunday. He has the nice tent trailer and the boat so I'm pumped.

I know nothing about this area, so does anyone know what to expect, what gear to take, etc.

Thanks in advance and I'll be sure to take the camera for a report.

Have a great weekend all,

suds

I marked lots of deep stuff...possibly lakers on Lake of Two Rivers in summer of '04. Caught a bass or two...nothin else (didn't have what I needed for the lakers). Lake is a fair size and DEEP. Haven't fished the small lake right at Mews. Mews and Lake of Two Rivers are side by each...you can launch down at the beach at LOTR (if it's open that is!)

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for the input guys, here's how it went. Hopefully i can get some images from my buddies camera to add...

We rolled into the campground around 1:30, beautiful sunny day around 18C. We had a tinny with a 7.5, so we dropped it of at the East beach of Lake of Two Rivers (LOTR). The LOTR campsite was closed still and they were cleaning up a TON of blowdown.

Back to Mew lake, my neighbor had knee replacement surgery, so we went comfy! He has the trailer with all the goodies, so we set that up Friday and settled in. Grilled pork tenderloin, spuds in the fire, some red wine and in for the night.

Sat. am on the water around 7:30- gorgeous morning, a little cool and a hint of a breeze. Trolled around for a few hours before we got any action; caught one laker in the slot that we released and my buddy caught a smallie about an hour later. Wind really came up so we got off the water and went to check out the visitors center- pretty cool alright. Gave me a better idea of what APP is all about.

Headed back to camp, drank a few beers and BBQ' up some steaks. Watched the wind play havoc with everyone's tarps, saw a fox scoot through the campsite, and turned in.

Sunday was a cool start, -2C,on the lake 7:30. Much calmer today, fantastic morning with the birds singing all around the lake. More action Sunday. 3 lakers to the boat, a few hits and misses, and I caught a nice smallie that was easily 4 lbs. All were released promptly.

All in all, I really enjoyed it and it whetted my desire to go back.

Thanks again for the ideas!

cheers

suds

Thanks for the update suds.

If you don't mind me asking what bait/lures were you using? How deep were you fishing? I will be camping at Lake of Two Rivers in a couple of weeks and would really like to catch my first laker.

Also, did you try Mew Lake? I can't find any info anywhere on what is in there and whether its worth fishing.

Cheers

Thanks for the update suds.

If you don't mind me asking what bait/lures were you using? How deep were you fishing? I will be camping at Lake of Two Rivers in a couple of weeks and would really like to catch my first laker.

Also, did you try Mew Lake? I can't find any info anywhere on what is in there and whether its worth fishing.

Cheers

We were trolling spoons, spinners and rapalas. By far the most action was rapalas, no weight, about 100' behind the boat. We guessed that they were up in the water column and it seemed to work. We saw no one else on LOTR, but the actual campsite on that lake and Killarney lodge open this weekend, so that may change.

My buddy sneered at me when I said, " what's in Mew?" I surmised not a lot. LOL. Saw a few kids fishing from shore. It had a great swimming/ wading beach.

Oh yeah, never saw a blackfly or skeeter.

Enjoy

suds