Pointe au Baril trip (Two weeks ago)

HyperActive

Hello friends,

I thought since I asked a few weeks back on the possible depth the bass may be at in Point au Baril I would share my trip with you guys and gals.

We arrived in Port au Baril about 8:00 pm on Friday night. It was pretty chilly, crystal clear night, the moon and stars were lighting up the sky like I don't see around home anymore.

After being inside the house we were staying at for about 5 minutes after getting there I decide to go out to the dock and cast a few times. I didn't really think I would catch anything and I didn't, after about 2 hours of casting into the darkness I noticed my line wasn't reeling in as smoothly as it should be. I walk towards a street light to see if I can see the problem and my last eye was pretty much frozen in, then I realized how cold it was an noticed I was pretty much frozen to.

I tapped the ice out and thought I should head in, then I thought of my golden rule of three more casts after I have had enough, worked in the past. Let's give it three more!

So, I am reeling my line in a "wham" my reel comes to a grinding halt. I walk back to the street light and I find a huge birds nest. Great!!! I think I better go in before I freeze to death or fall in the water with the way the night was going.

Saturday I wake up bright and early, I get dressed and head back down to the docks to wait for my ride and see if I have better luck.

So I begin by trying to enhance my casting skills by bouncing my crank off the dock across the channel, The first one was perfect, it bounced off and landed in the water right beside the dock.....going to be a good day I am thinking!!!

My second cast pretty much lands in the same spot but the hooks stick in the dock. So I begin to walk around the channel to cross the bridge to get to the dock that I snagged.

I thought I should break my line just in case....ahhh nobody is around it should be ok. I get half way to the bridge and construction guys show up, load their boats and head down the channel. I eventually cross the bridge and head to the dock where my crank should be. I get there and there is no crank, I look across to the dock where my rod should be and yes, no rod.

Alright, it can't get worse from here and I pull out my back up rod. I was pretty pumped about a new Rapala I paid $15.00 for on the way up. I put that on my backup rod,then I let it fly, and it kept flying and flying, my hands were pretty cold and I didn't tie it on properly. So now I am out a rod and a crank I never even got to cast properly and my ride still hasn't even shown up.

An hour and a half later my ride shows up and were off. We stopped much sooner then I expected. So I ask "how deep is the water here?" "about 20 feet." she replies. In my head I am thinking nooooo the folks on the form said they are about 40'. She says we are going to fish for Pickerel. Once again in my head I am screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it is all about the bass. Instead I say sounds good, I have never fished for them.

But just to make sure there wasn't any bass in the area I put a crank on to try my luck. After the 9th/10th cast... clunk. I taped the motor with my crank while casting and it shattered. Now I am out a rod and $30.00 in cranks. Couldn't do anything but laugh at my fortunes.

I throw a minnow on my hook listen to the girl explain how pickerel bite and I am thinking, huh so we are fishing for wimpy fish (No insults intended but it sounds like they don't give ya that rush a big bass gives you...the main reason I drove up there.)

4 hours go by and my awesome generous host say shall we head back in. Depressed, skunked and not even having one bite I said sure. We get to shore and I watch her clean her catch while having a drink.

So, needless to say it was an AWESOME trip and I wouldn't have wanted to spend it any other way!!!................hummm, maybe a bite or to actually catch a fish would have made it better but it was still pretty cool just being on the water,

Edited by HyperActive