Help on choosing GPS map chip for Lowrance LMS332C

Jackie

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the "new" OFC forum. I used to post in the old one but only re-registered myself recently after it closed down. I'm from Markham and I do most of my fishing in the Kawarthas. This season I'm parking my boat on Buckhorn Lake. Sunday was my first time out. I guess I was getting too close to one of the islands and the bottom of my boat hit a shoal. Luckily there was no real damage. Since I'm unfamiliar to the area, to avoid further incidents like this, I think I will spend some money to get a good map for my Lowrance GPS unit (LMS332c). Up to now, I've been only using the base map that comes with the unit. It has no info on the water and the shoreline info is very inaccurate.

I looked on the web and did some research. I think what I need is one of the Navionics charts (not HotMaps). Obviously I need one that covers my primary fishing areas -- tri-lakes. Occasionally I also fish other Kawartha lakes, Bay of Quinte and Lake Ontario. For my needs, there seem to be two choices: Gold+ 14XG and Gold 901G. Here're my questions:

1. Am I correct that these are the only choices for me?

2. Do these maps have detailed depth contours on the tri-lakes, showing drop-offs and shoals etc?

3. Are there differences between 14XG and 901G except for the coverage? Given that the 14XG is only about $50 more, I tend to go with the larger 14XG.

4. How does these maps compare to the government's hydrographic charts in terms of details and ease of use?

5. Do these Navionics memory card easily break? I've read on the net that some people have problems (can't read) with their cards after only a few months of use. What is the warranty?

6. I do plan to buy another handheld GPS unit in the near future and would like to use this map for that unit as well (e.g. for ice-fishing). Anything else I should consider?

Sorry for the long post. I hope some of you who use these maps or are planning to buy one can help me out. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jackie

Guest lundboy

I would go with the 14XG NORTH AMERICA : CANADA - EASTERN : XL9.

The maps do have detailed depth contours very similar to what you see on the hydrographic charts, but also include more detail regarding marinas etc. All of the Trent waterways lakes are covered since they are navigable waters.

I have had a Gold for going on 3 seasons now and have never had a problem with failure or contacts corroding. Never plug a navionics chip in your PC card reader or it may be over-written by the OS. They come with a 1 year warranty.

The navionics MMC/SD chips will plug directly into most lowrance handhelds (and possibly some other brands).

I think they have a promotion on right now( I just got one from my dealer) that there is a self addressed envelope in the package you send to Navionics and they send you a FishnChip cartridge for the US completely free. I may never fish the US but just in case free is a great price. Th e package said it is not for navigation but as an accessory to your Gold+.

Thanks for all your responses. I think I'll get the 14XG. I went to BPS to take a look last night. But they're out of stock and they don't even know when they'll get more back. I guess I'll try Le Baron next.

Tracker, where did you order yours from and how much, if you don't mind me asking?

Jackie

I recentely purchased the 14XG....XL9 myself from West Marine in Toronto for $ 240.

Most of my fishing is also in the Tri-Lakes area, but I also fish Quinte and the Ottawa River area and hope to hit the St. Lawrence this year too. I talked to several different dealers at the various spring shows, plus I phoned Navionics and they all recommended the same card.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover Nippissing.

Guest lundboy
I recentely purchased the 14XG....XL9 myself from West Marine in Toronto for $ 240.

Most of my fishing is also in the Tri-Lakes area, but I also fish Quinte and the Ottawa River area and hope to hit the St. Lawrence this year too. I talked to several different dealers at the various spring shows, plus I phoned Navionics and they all recommended the same card.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover Nippissing.

You actually need two map chips to fish local in shore waters here in Ontario. You need the 14XG-XL9 to cover all of the navigable waters (remember this is a chart chip)no roads, and you need the Hotmaps Premium 2007 edition Canada region which covers a huge amount of the non-navigable water lakes like Nippissing, and even Poudash in Bancroft. But the Hotmaps also have some Navigable waters (no great lakes) and major roads too (Hotmaps is a good deal actually).

So you're looking at a sizable investment of about $400 for the chips in total.

The Hotmaps chips sells for about $195 TX CDN at most places here.

Just remember:

Gold Chips = Navigable waters (Navigation Charts), no roads, no non-navigable waters, regional

Hotmaps = Topomaps of most other waters, major roads, no great lakes in all of Canada

From what I can tell there is some overlap on these chips, but the gold chips may be more accurate for chart purposes. The detail is excellent in both.

Edited by lundboy