Maiden voyage for 07

taper

We decided that Sunday looked like a great day to put the boat in the water. Wife had to work, so it was just me and my son until the father in law called and offered to join in. Headed for the Old Cut at Long Point but we were way to late for the Tourney. Got there around 9:15 fishing by 10. Why did it take us so long to get our rods in the water you ask, first of all having never launched out of old cut I made a turn out towards the lake a little early and found a very nice sand bar, no biggie backed out and carried on. That is until my son said " dad why is there water in the boat " Oh crap first time I have ever forgotten to put the plug in. Hammer down try to get it up on plane, flip the bilge switch and run around in open water for a while. Give the wheel to the father in law and go to the back to insert the plug. Now we can fish. Headed out to EC10, first 10 minutes I got one nice perch and not another bite. We moved once and then the wind came up and boats started heading for the ramp. We decided to head in and on the way in we seen a couple of boats had tucked in behind Old Cut to shelter from some of the wind.We decided to give it a try. Good decision, perch action was non stop. A lot of small ones but at least we were catching something. Between the three of us we kept 25-30 perch and headed in. At the ramp we ran into a friend that had been fishing crappie and had 7 in the live well. Nobody on his boat wanted to clean them so he gave them to me, great I have never tried crappy before so this was a nice surprise. I have had rock bass and blue gill but never crappy. In the end it was a great day and learning experience. On a side note my hull plug is in from the inside and always liked the nice clean look from the outside but after Sunday I will never put it in from the Outside for certain. It was very easy to reach and install without leaning way over the back. In my opinion much safer.

gallery_682_227_23340.jpg

gallery_682_227_36386.jpg

Why I like the plug on the outside. Starin right at ya when taking the trailer tie downs off the transom! :D

..and you'z not tryin to sneak someone elses Crappy into the tourney are you taper... lol :dunno::D

Thanks for the report...great getting out with the lad.