Fished the Grand today before having turkey...

hotsky

I had a few hours free today so I went fishing Grand river for a few hours before having dinner with fiances family. I've only fished the river a couple of time and never that spot so wanted to give it another try. I didn't say at one place and covered a few hundred meter stretch wanting to explore and look for a decent hole. I caught 4 smallies on the way, nothing impressive (so didn't bother taking pics), all in the rather shallow spots where water wasn't moving too fast (I avoided rapids altogether). Than I found a section with deeper slow moving water and spend an hour there casting twist tails, spiners, spoons, crankbaits and never got a hit! On my way there in the shallows I constantly got hits from fish some barely twice the size of mrTwister on every cast, but no action at all in the deeper water. Why?:dunno: Which is consistent with my experience at the Thames river. Why is that? I guess small fish tend to stay close to shore in the shallow to hide from larger fish but where is larger fish hiding and how do I get them to bite? I was hoping to get a pike, nice size bass or a walleye...

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I like to slowly swim a jig towards me through the deeper sections...ticking the bottom will get you into the fish zone. If you snag up and can't get it out, let a bunch of line go downstream and give the rod a sharp snap to free it. I only use crank baits while in the boat....