How a man lost half a cod … to a shark

kickingfrog

Photos of the fish in the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/10/02/nl-shark-cod-food-fishery-1002.html

How a man lost half a cod … to a shark

CBC News Posted: Oct 2, 2012 12:53 PM NT Last Updated: Oct 2, 2012 3:26 PM NT

Gerard McDonald hoists the head of cod he was left with after a seven-foot shark bit off its meal. (Submitted by Gerard McDonald)

A central Newfoundland man who went fishing for cod this weekend has a new twist on the old story about the one that got away.

In Gerard McDonald's case, half the fish got away — and that's because it wound up in the mouth of a shark, which had been just inches away from his fingers.

McDonald was taking part in the recreational cod fishery on Saturday near Cottrell's Cove when he hooked a cod.

Gerard McDonald says his days of reaching into the water to pull in a cod are behind him. (Submitted by Gerard McDonald)

"When I pulled the fish out of the water, the shark came right out of the water and bit the fish in two. So I got my half of the fish and he got his," McDonald told CBC News.

McDonald, who estimated the shark was about seven feet long, said in the future he'll wait till his cod lands in the boat before he reaches into the water.

"I will never reach down and grab a codfish out of the water by the gills like I used to do," he said.

"I wouldn't recommend anybody do it now."