Fenwick River Runner rods

Snidley

For anyone who owns a River Runner Elite Tech rod I'm puzzled by the ferules on them. I have seen several and the ferrule is "funny" in that there is a gap between the two pieces where the ferrule should close to the point that the 2 pieces of the rod are in virtual contact. With all of the River Runners I've seen there is significant gap between the rod pieces exposing the "male" part of the ferrule. One of the guys at Sail said it closes up over time but I find that hard to believe. If anyone owns one could you please comment as I like the rod other than this and might buy one in the spring. I do love the wide handle on the Elite Tec Smallmouth and River Runner rods even though they are split grips which I don't care for.

I own two and love them to death. IMO the rod designers at Fenwick really hit a home run with these rods. The handle is the obvious thing, it's incredibly comfortable. Guides are next. The titanium frame SIC's on the rod are worth more than I paid for the whole thing.

The third thing is the spiggot ferrule. As far as I'm concerned they were really thinking outside the box here.

IMO this ferrule gives them the feel of a one piece rod. In addition there's no unsightly bulge as with most ferrules.

Of course spiggot ferrules is extremely old technology...but Fenwick has improved on the concept dramatically.

And yes as the rod is used heavily year after year the joint will become tighter as the female end is worn down. You will always have a tight fit though, that's the beauty.

I caught countless huge brookies on my rod while at the Sutton, stressed the living crap out of it and it held up magnificently.

Hard to go worong in any case with a lifetime warranty.

I like my rods just as much or more than my expensive Loomis sticks, I'm definitely getting more of them.

The "only" possible criticism, because of the shorter than normal rear grip the rods feel marginally tip heavy. But they're overall so light and sensitive, paired with a lightweight magnesium reel they're a joy to fish.