Port Burwell Perch

pics

About a week ago my dad texted me about going fishing for perch! A buddy of his had been to Burwell and caught his limit in a couple of hours. Whats unusual about this request is that he almost never goes fishing and we haven't been out fishing together in 20 years. We could only go on my days off midweek and having just a 14 foot tinner with a 15 hp would limit us to a calm day. Somehow the weather and schedule worked out so after a few phone calls looking for info and a call for help here we decided it was a go for Burwell. Minnows are hard to get this time of year near lake Erie so I picked up 2 scoops at Bills bait in Hamilton. Good thing because the owner of the marina was wishing he could get some to sell but none are available to him...

We headed out to 40-42 feet where a few other boats were fishing and after a half hour or so we found a few fish. The fishfinder was showing bigs schools of something under us(not sure what) Eventually after some controlled drifting we got into them. Two scoops just isn't enough when they start biting because we ran out. The size of them was smaller than in the spring but overall not bad. We ended up with 87 so you could say the trip was worth it. Lots of smaller ones to throw back but at least the smim bladders weren't an issue since the water was only 40 feet and the fish were a bit off the bottom. The gulls went home hungry, we went home happy...... :clapping: