Camping and fishing in Dunville. Any tips?

hotsky

I'm going camping to Byng Island in Dunnville in 2 weeks, decided to try something other than Long point and it's a little closer to home. I plan to spend most of the time fishing and will bring my inflatable with a motor (love that thing btw!) I'll have my tackle box, so will see what works and what doesn't, but was hoping I can get some tips from people that fished there. What can I catch there? I'm guessing pike, bass, carp? Anything else? Any recommendations on lures or bait?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

theres walleye at Byng Island for sure, I've seen people catch them, but I can't seem to be able to. Try drifting a worm or minnow under a float there- I have caught LMB, SMB, pike, channel cats, sheepshead, perch, crappie, and white bass doing that at Byng Island. I'm sure someone who has been more successful there could give you a few more tips.

Edited by northernpike56

I would suggest fishin below the dam.... above is very shallow
I've never been there is the conservation above or below the dam? My campsite is on water front so I'll be lunching and casting right from the site. :thumbsup_anim: Edited by Gray_Wolf

I have launched form Bing, nice looking camp ground. The water in the channel around the island is pretty muddy, great for channel cats. I normally head out to the river and aim for the lake. River is low now so be careful. Even in the river you can go from 15ft to 2ft from one side to the other. all the above fish are there. I read there are over 40 spieces in that part of the grand. Good luck I will be back that way as soon as the walleye start to move in from the big water.

I normally head out to the river and aim for the lake.
I'm guessing it's after the dam than?

Hopefully by than I'll have my fish finder so I'll know how much water is under me.

pretty excited for this trip, I'll get my GF a license so I'll have 2 lines in the water all day long. Don't know if I'll keep any fish yet.

Lol... Go in may. Its a dead zone til november. You'll catch mudcats, sheephead, if you're lucky - silver bass. If you're REALLY lucky - a resident walleye. It's a very seasonal fishery and you're a little early for the smaller fall run of lake walleye.

Id pick brant park over byng this time of year, hands down. With your inflatable and electric you'd have acess to big pike, smallies, maybe walleye and also wilkes dam which holds all of the above.

Carp in the grand at dunnville, for sure. Big ones too.

Pike? I've caught 3 in dunnville in my life, and never one in the summer. There are some smallies, but they run rather small and are difficult to locate. You could day trek to cayuga from dunnville though where you're more likely to connect with the species you listed.

Ps: i also own a 12ft inflatable w/ electric and i own 2 other boats.. Its by far the best purchase of the year. Since buying it, i have only used the other boats twice. So convenient and really goes anywhere unrestricted!