Fishing in Guelph

Mack66

Well on Saturday i will be moving into residence at the university of Guelph. i love to fish but unfortunately my tinny and truck will be staying home so i was wondering if there's any good spots to fish in Guelph. I see the speed and eramosa rivers run through the city? do they have fish? if they do can someone point me in the right direction to get started i only fish scugog and i imagine the fishing style would be a little different lol.

Mack

Hey,

Welcome to Guelph, I am sure you will enjoy your time at the UofG. As for fishing in town. Both the Speed and Eramosa hold fish, you can try around the downtown area off of Gordon st. Don't expect any monsters but you can catch smallmouth and pike.

If you have a car then there is lots of fishing to be had with a little bit of driving.

Well on Saturday i will be moving into residence at the university of Guelph. i love to fish but unfortunately my tinny and truck will be staying home so i was wondering if there's any good spots to fish in Guelph. I see the speed and eramosa rivers run through the city? do they have fish? if they do can someone point me in the right direction to get started i only fish scugog and i imagine the fishing style would be a little different lol.

Mack

I did my undergrad and a MSc there so I walked every piece of water in hip waders.

There are plenty of fish there, mostly smallmouth bass and pike. Check out Google maps to find some nice holes. If you put in some time on the river you'll find out quickly what works and what doesn't. If you're limited to in town, focus on the Speed River and not so much on the Eramosa. Once you learn what works, then start to move outwards from the junction of the Speed and Eramosa.

Half the fun of fishing new water is finding out what works and where the fish are.

Good luck!

PM me when you have some time - I'm heading into my 5th year in Guelph and I had the same questions when I started.

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely let you know. I have hip waders too so I could bring them later. And thanks for the tips everybody, lookin forward to exploring the waters when I get some time.

I lived in Guelph for 4 years, that was before I started fishing so never fished when I was there. Makes me sad to think of all the opportunities I missed... :(

Anyways, there is a place that rents canoes and kayaks on the river downtown on Gordon st. where Eramossa and Speed river meet, I think they close in Oct but it depends on the weather. Guelph lake is pretty big should be a good place too you can access the dam with out having to pay the entrance fee, they have rentals as well in the conservation for the summer (September maybe?).

I live here. Carp on the fly is my main game here. The bass and pike are puny for the most part, but you'll find a few big guys in there. The Eramosa is fished less then the speed. If you want larger fish, and are willing to put in the time, thats the river you want to focus on......