Good place to shore fish with an 8 year old?

Torinate

Hello everyone.

I'd like to find a great place to take my son fishing.

We live in Elora.

Cant seem to catch anything in the Grand River.

Looking for quantity more than size right now. Any ideas closely?

Thanks!

Torinate

How about Little more about yourself and such,and the replies will come fast I'm sure.:good:I don't know that area at all.

Edited by davey buoy

Hello everyone.

I'd like to find a great place to take my son fishing.

We live in Elora.

Cant seem to catch anything in the Grand River.

Looking for quantity more than size right now. Any ideas closely?

Thanks!

Torinate

You can head over to Snyders Flats in Bloomingdale. Three ponds with lots of panfish to keep the little one busy.

We tried Snyders Flats 2 weeks ago and were completely shut out. Not even a nibble. He was pretty disappointed. The Fishing Store on Victoria in Kitchener suggested that as well.

Glenn Haffy - i'll have to google that.

Let's see... More info

Me - spent a great deal of time fishing with my father in Port Elgin (Saugeen River) and the harbour. Love to fish but don't seem to have enough time. I've taken my son (8) there as well with no success either. As far as bait, we've tried worms, jigs and different Rapalas and Cotton Cordels on the advice of the FIshing Store. Even tried the green worms with no success. He likes getting out there and is always ready. We've tried Snyders aflats, downtown Fergus, the old OR ponds in Guelph, Guelph lake (from county road 32?).

We're willing to travel a bit to find an easily accessible place.

Looking more for quantity than huge sizes. Something edible would be fantastic

We appreciate all the advice.

Torinate

Edited by Torinate

Columbia Lake, corner of Columbia and Westmount, Waterloo. Took my son there over the long weekend. Lots of sunfish and small largies. You will not be dissapointed. Lots of parking by the old greenhouse and bring worms and chairs.

Mike

No offense intended, but Glenn Haffy would be a place to start. Pay the park $14 and stay the day. Keep up to 3 rainbows and you can still catch and release.

Why do you say, "no offense intended"? I think Glen Haffy Conservation Area is a great suggestion. He's got an 8-yo, so having access to the park's washrooms, picnic shelters, etc will be handy, and it's not far from home.

Island Lake Conservation Area in Orangeville is another sure-thing. They've got boat, canoe and kayak rentals, and lots of pike, perch, largemouth and (they say) crappie. I've seen some good numbers of pike come out of that lake. Nothing huge but plenty big enough for a youngster.

Another great place for kids fishing is the Kings Bush ponds. Lake RD and County road 32. You'll have to get there from townline rd Cambridge as the bridge over the 401 on RD32 is closed. Little Lake is right there but is way overfished. The ponds in the Agreement forest are excellent for kids fishing

Why do you say, "no offense intended"? I think Glen Haffy Conservation Area is a great suggestion. He's got an 8-yo, so having access to the park's washrooms, picnic shelters, etc will be handy, and it's not far from home.

I believe you misunderstood the intention with my response. Some people feel that pointing them to a stocked point is an insult to their fishing skills. I'm just trying to be respectful to the OP. I've fished Glenn Haffy this past year a few times and I totally agree with you that it's a great place. I absolutely enjoyed it. Being able to bring a fly rod, float rod, and spinning rod to play, without walking far, is awesome. And yes, the bathrooms are a huge bonus! :)

Plus, some anglers end up keeping more than their limit, which is better than having them keep the fish that are actually in open water. I'm not condoning anglers to keep more than their 3 fish limit, but I'd rather see them take more than their limit in a stocked pond than the wild fish on our rivers.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit