French River Help

hawk-eye

Hey guys, well we r at the shack up on the north channel. First time here and. I am now wondering why I haven't been up away from the south for so long. Man I miss this. Anyway been here for a few days now and am wondering if anyone else is having any luck arround here? We r having a hard time trying to dial them. Been targeting pics in the morn and eve and bass throughout the day. Any help would appreciated. We were thinking of making a ride to lakair for a day. Any reports from around there? Thanks guys.

Edited by hawk-eye

Fishing the French has been rough recently. I was at my uncles cottage for the long weekend and between the dozen of us that were fishing I think we brought in a few pike. It was frusterating because whenever we would snorkel our fishing locations we would see tons of large bass, they just wern't hitting. Might be the cold front we have been dealing with recently. Try spinnerbaits or white dropshot minnows. Thats all I can reccomend.

Where is the cottage? Are you near the mouth of the French? When times get difficult, try something out of the norm. Look for 12-15 feet of water adjacent to weedlines. Drag jigs tipped with crawlers. The action was pretty hot in July.

Thanks Marty, we r on the north channel near green bay. Times seem pretty tought right now, even the local guy next door hasn't been catching anything lately. Good thing we brought lots of beer to pass the time. We still got a few more days here before we head back home so hopefully things will turn on before we go. Managed a few little bass on leeches and crawlers last night. Not sure what we r trying tonight.

JUst ret'd from a week at Crane's Lochaven Lodge. Fishing, while not great, was way better than our trip in July. Bass fishing was quite good with many slot fish and several over slot....largest 19.5 SMB on a small rebel popper. Only one walleye, but we are not really fishing for them. Two smaller muskie....28" and 37", however the latter was a fat fish, I'd guess at 15 pounds....caught on a surface plug after dinner and it jumped clear twice. Surprisingly, only about a dozen pike, with largest at 34"

All in all...good trip. Heading back in 3 weeks for some serious muskie hunting.

I fish the same areas as Marty for the French in summer - 12 to 14 ft adjacent to weedbeds. I use a worm harness (go-getter with chartreuse blade). I did ok this year in the Alban area. They were hitting short on me this year. I should have put a stinger hook on the worm tail. Early am to about 11am is usually the time that they bite ; then go in and have lunch and a snooze and wait for the evening bite

WR