Trailer tires

davey buoy

No cheaping out Bill, The question was knowing the difference. I've seen mixed answers,some say yah,some say nay.Just wanted to know every ones opinion.Great discussion non the less. I personally will use the tires i have,well beyond recommended weight. For the amount of time (every weekend) driving less than a hundred "k",I'm sure I'll be alright. Money grab for t tires?,I won't go there,but weight I'm within spec. The price is not a factor in my decision,as I here they are close. .Maybe next year I'll change them ?. Maybe.Thanks guys.

Oh by the way the trailer is a ez load trailer with coil springs,nice tow for sure.

You've been told what the difference is between the two tires, yet you choose to put money ahead of safety.

God I hope I'm never driving beside you on the highway. At least you were warned. :wacko:

You've been told what the difference is between the two tires, yet you choose to put money ahead of safety.

God I hope I'm never driving beside you on the highway. At least you were warned. :wacko:

Excuse me,the differences are not so great. Money is not a issue if you would read the previous posts. Thank you for your input if any.

would you put trailer tires on your car? would it pass a safety if you did?

what makes you say the difference isnt so great? only because you dont want to think it is..not because of any great knowledge of tire technology and engineering.

you are not convinced they are 'improper equipment'..again, because people get away with it. (and possibly, its not such a big difference)

but we could all likely agree on this- if it was 'proper equipment' it would say trailer on it.

if its not about the money, then why else would you use a car tire on a boat trailer?

(FTR, i dont personally think car tires explode like grenades when placed on a trailer, and i realize its not that uncommon - i just beleive in the right tool for the job)

Edited by smally21

would you put trailer tires on your car? would it pass a safety if you did?

what makes you say the difference isnt so great? only because you dont want to think it is..not because of any great knowledge of tire technology and engineering.

you are not convinced they are 'improper equipment'..again, because people get away with it. (and possibly, its not such a big difference)

but we could all likely agree on this- if it was 'proper equipment' it would say trailer on it.

if its not about the money, then why else would you use a car tire on a boat trailer?

(FTR, i dont personally think car tires explode like grenades when placed on a trailer, and i realize its not that uncommon - i just beleive in the right tool for the job)

How can I argue with that?You no more than most. Thanks.

i'm certainly no expert myself. But i've built and repaired and towed hundreds of trailers, and they all had tires. Bought enough to have tire reps at the shop with their fancy cutouts, engineering talk and sales pitches.

(more than a few of those trailers had car tires) ;)

Here’s the reply that I finally received from the Ministry about trailer tires VS automotive.

He’s not saying which are better; but clarifying the highway traffic act in regards to what tires are not allowed.

So legally run whichever you want, as long as the tire is rated for the weight.

Dan.

Ministry of Transportation

Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch

3rd Floor, 301 St. Paul Street

St. Catharines ON L2R 7R4

Tel.: 416 246-7166

Fax: 905 704-2530

Ministère des transports

Direction de la sécurité des transporteurs et de l’application des lois

3e étage, 301, rue St. Paul

St. Catharines ON L2R 7R4

Tél.: 416 246-7166

Téléc.: 905 704-2530

August 10, 2012

Thank you for your email regarding trailer tires, I welcome the opportunity to respond.

In reading your e-mail, I notice that you are installing tires on a trailer that have a “P” rating. I also notice that you are aware of the weight rating of the tire and the capacity that you intend to load onto your trailer, and that overloading is not going to be an issue.

I can advise you that the Highway Traffic Act does not speak to what type of tires are mandatory on a trailer. The tire markings that are not allowed on the highway include: “not for highway use”, or “farm use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not intended for highway use.

Again, thank you for your interest in road safety.

Yours truly,

Original signed by

Bob Lickers

Enforcement Program Advisor

How heavy is the load you are towing?

How many axles?

I had a blow out last year with car tires.....I was not on the highway, and just starting my journey. I noticed a HUGE differance between car tires and trailer tires. The sway of the load was gone and rolled smoother.

I was also well under load for the car tires....