Mostly skunked

Ok , so this is my first actual post on forum , so let me start by sayin' hi .

.... HI ....

I don,t know how its been in everyone else's neck of the woods , but the heat in Kitchener has been killing me for at least the last 4 weeks .

We finally got a break on Thursday , and Iv'e been achin' to go fishin' for weeks .

I set the alarm and got up at 5:00 and was out the door on my bicycle at 5:30 .

I started fishing on the Grand down below Breslau in a spot where I usually have pretty good luck .

Nadda ... not even a hit . I rode the Grand river trail to 5 other ( not too bad ) spots , and had just as much luck .

( I'm only using my own homemade lures and my ultralite rod .. I'm sure if I put on a big worm or a snail , I probably would have caught at least one )

So on my way home . I stopped at this little pond , where I can usually catch smallmouth and sunfish one after another all day long .

Nadda .. I saw something in the water .. coulda been a carp , or a turtle .. not sure .. couldn,t tell .

The water was so muddy looking , you could only see about 6 inches thru it .

Totally skunked , but I still had a good time getting out fishin' .

First time in years I.ve been out that early in the morning to go fishin' .

Riding down the road at 5:30 with my fishin' pole in my hand , I'm watchin' people driving to work , and I'm thinkin' .. sucks to be you .

Saturday .. Decided to go to some other spots in the Doon area .

Thought that being cool for a couple days woulda helped .. caught a bus around noonish ( not the greatest time of the day )

Did some casting and some fly fishing . Caught 2 little chubs on the fly rod , and 3 chubs on the ultralite .

One big hit on the ultralite , but it got off .. I have most of my barbs pinched off so its not as hard on the fish .

Well at least i didn,t get skunked again .. ha ha .

I still had a good time , and it was first time in over 8 years that i used my fly rod and that was fun too .

Just a note .. i did notice that in one of the little tributary streams i was in .. i only seen one crayfish .

Usually the stream has tonnes of them , you normally see them scurrying away with ever foot step . I saw one .

Moral of the story ? ... Don't fill up you water bottles and then forget to bring them with you .

Man I was thirsty by the time i got home .

I think I'm gonna get out my drum and do an Indian rain dance or something .

I think the fish are thirsty too .

The bass in the Grand are currently suffering from ptsd. The Grand River Bass Derby puts the bass down for a couple of weeks at least. Particularly right in town as hundreds of anglers fish it solid for two days. Go upstream to West Montrose or over to the Nith or Speed those waters aren't in the derby.