Wishfull thinking?

Raycaster

Last week up in Balsam I was successful catching and releasing a 45" Muskie.

Darn, didn't top my brother-in-laws 47" from Scugog!

Anyways a day later, I had a steel leader cut 1" after the swivel.

I was retrieving my favorite spinner and about 5' from the boat saw a flash, had a pull, and than had the cut leader.

It happened so quick I really can't say I saw a "fish" 100%.

I know the ski's have a nice set off teeth but through a steel leader?

Is it more likely this cheap CT leader was bent or damaged and got a quick snag?

2012-07-02 20.59.11 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Raycaster

That hold probably won't make the cover of "Musky Hunter" magazine but if she swam away, that's all that matters!

I doubt your leader was bit off; their teeth are sharp but well spaced. It's more likely the leader was already damaged and a tug on anything would be all it takes.

Give fluorocarbon leaders a try. They're easier on the fish when they roll up in them and you can retie a damaged end. My trolling leaders (4-5') usually get nibbled on and I retie all the way down to 1' long for casting. Lots of life in them and seldom a break-off.

Great fish man! thumbsup_anim.gif

That hold probably won't make the cover of "Musky Hunter" magazine but if she swam away, that's all that matters!

I doubt your leader was bit off; their teeth are sharp but well spaced. It's more likely the leader was already damaged and a tug on anything would be all it takes.

Give fluorocarbon leaders a try. They're easier on the fish when they roll up in them and you can retie a damaged end. My trolling leaders (4-5') usually get nibbled on and I retie all the way down to 1' long for casting. Lots of life in them and seldom a break-off.

as a side note, I'm not a muskie hunter myself, but what exactly is the preferred way to hold a musky? I see people get ripped for holding them by the gills, and apparently this cradle type hold isn't okay either so what is the right way to hold them? If people are so concerned about the fish why do they even fish for them?

Nice fish man.

I like flouro leaders too. I tie my own, and they work great. But they're not 100% bite proof. More than likely, there was a weak spot in your leader.

I'd say the hold is fine. The main idea is to support the fish along the length of it (the same way it's weight is supported in the water). So whether you hold gill plate and belly, or tail and belly is really a personal choice.

Great fish man! thumbsup_anim.gif

as a side note, I'm not a muskie hunter myself, but what exactly is the preferred way to hold a musky? I see people get ripped for holding them by the gills, and apparently this cradle type hold isn't okay either so what is the right way to hold them? If people are so concerned about the fish why do they even fish for them?

Raycaster changed the picture. The original photo had him bear-hugging the fish. More funny than harmful.