pike advice-northeast Ontario

Rod Caster

I'm going to a small, very pristine, pike lake this weekend and given the hot temperatures I am unsure where to start looking for them this July.

The lake is maximum approx 40 feet deep, its a granite lake and has no major inflow. Also, its tea colored water.

I have a good selection of pike lures/bait and I'm prepared for deep trolling with bottom bouncers.

My first thought is to troll the main lake at around 20 feet.

What would you do??

Is this small lake spring fed? If it isn't then I would focus on that 10-20 foot range asuming there are some big pike in it. If it is spring fed and has surface temps cooler then the norm I would not worry as much about depth and look for weeds and structure at any depth. If I'm searching or fishing blind I definitely rather be fishing above pike.

Is this small lake spring fed? If it isn't then I would focus on that 10-20 foot range asuming there are some big pike in it. If it is spring fed and has surface temps cooler then the norm I would not worry as much about depth and look for weeds and structure at any depth. If I'm searching or fishing blind I definitely rather be fishing above pike.

I suspect it is not spring fed. Judging by the water level stains on the rocks, it fluxuates with yearly rainfall. Are spring fed lakes typically clear? This one is tannin colored...

Also, I suspect big pike in there, so I'm guessing deep, like you said... The surface temps must be unusually high this year.

Conentrate on main lake basins. Dont worry about breaks or other. if the lake has a history of large of large fish this is where they will be this time of year> Nver underestyimate the needc of laege northerns for cold wsater. In this heat you may be able to concentrate them into small areas.

Think of them as Lake Trout in the summer, just up your bait size to make them think its a caloric investment on there energyt.

Darren

"You're going to a small" lake for the "weekend."

RC... I say you just pound on anything that looks fishy until you get what you're after.

And depending where in the N.E. or the lake temps/characteristics, you can certainly catch pike in shallow (under 10 feet) but more likely in ANY cabbagio you find.

Pick up some scum frogs and chuck them straight into the reeds. They are top water and weedless so dont worry.

Find the weed lines and chuck 'em there as well.

I was just in Timmins yesterday and lost a scum frog, another top water jerk bait and shallow swimming Rapala. The pike were biting them right off of the line. Use a strong braided line or a steel leader. I was using 8 lb. mono and the pike were biting right through it. Not sure how the steel leader will affect the top water lures though.

My cousin who lives in Timmins has never seen anything like that before.

The Southern Ontario boy shows Northern Ontario boy a new trick.

Edited by Parisite

Thanks Darren. I was thinking the same... Its been unusually hot this year and I expect very few snot rockets in this under-pressured lake...

Moosey: I'll be within 1hr of north bay (not that far north, really). You are probably correct as well! Not too much water to cover and since I'm fishing for the same fish likes to attack my stinger of walleye, it shoudlnt be too hard to find them :) I always overestimate the amount of fishing I do on a "boys" weekend so I'm trying to shorten my "search" time. Regardless, if there are pike, I'm sure I'll find at least a couple.

Parasite: I never underestimate you "southerners" :D you have some good pike waters and I'm sure you've learned some sweet tricks! Northern ontario has actually been tough for me when it comes to pike. Coming back from alberta where I could caatch 10 to 20 lbs pike with ease, my area of the north doesn't give up its gators as easily!

10lbs braid with homemade leaders all the way... Not too concerned with bringing them in... Just finding them :D I have 14 guys relying on my lake picking skills. That's 14 against 1 if nobody catches anything haha