Tiger Musky -CONFIRMED

Pikeslayer

Probably a good time for:

The rest of the story.........

My childhood friend was T boned while fishing on a 16 ft tinny by a (very wealthy) drunk piloting a Scarab (I think 35 ft CC) approx 22 yrs ago. He drowned, was rescued and revived. End result, he functions at the level of an 8 yr old but never has to worry about $$$$ for the rest of his life. He loves to fish (travels the world with his caretaker, NZ marlin fishing he survived another near drowning when he and his chair were pulled overboard by a black marlin but that's another story...) and takes particular joy in enjoying his harvest where/when allowed (CT is quite the chef BTW). BUT, he does have a clear understanding that there are rules for possession and ethics for C & R for fish & seasons. he just can't decipher them.

There is no doubt he is catching tigers. His CT has sent me clear photos and I have verified them. So given the confirmation of the regs & big assists from Sinclair & Craig (thx BTW), I emailed CT and told him to go for it (as long as I'm invited for dinner).

And Mike P., there's no doubt in my mind that there will be another replica added to his (most impressive) collection :thumbsup_anim:

Thx to all for the input.

Slayer.

Probably a good time for:

The rest of the story.........

My childhood friend was T boned while fishing on a 16 ft tinny by a (very wealthy) drunk piloting a Scarab (I think 35 ft CC) approx 22 yrs ago. He drowned, was rescued and revived. End result, he functions at the level of an 8 yr old but never has to worry about $$$$ for the rest of his life. He loves to fish (travels the world with his caretaker, NZ marlin fishing he survived another near drowning when he and his chair were pulled overboard by a black marlin but that's another story...) and takes particular joy in enjoying his harvest where/when allowed (CT is quite the chef BTW). BUT, he does have a clear understanding that there are rules for possession and ethics for C & R for fish & seasons. he just can't decipher them.

There is no doubt he is catching tigers. His CT has sent me clear photos and I have verified them. So given the confirmation of the regs & big assists from Sinclair & Craig (thx BTW), I emailed CT and told him to go for it (as long as I'm invited for dinner).

And Mike P., there's no doubt in my mind that there will be another replica added to his (most impressive) collection :thumbsup_anim:

Thx to all for the input.

Slayer.

Man, what luck! He almost drowns once, survives, then gets pulled in by a marlin! I've got to hear more. How did he survive the second time?

In regareds to eating muskie, being an apex predator the MNR lists them as toxic in the consumption guide so it's not a good idea.

With the spread of pike throughout our waterways, tiger muskies are becoming more prevalent meaning, pike will eventually displace muskie in those waters. Pike spawn 2 weeks before muskie and they share the same spawning areas. Both species are canabilistic so with the pike hatching first, muskie become a food supply.

Edited by Lunker Larry

My copy of the guide to eating Ontario sport fish says this...

"Consumption tables in this guide do not provide advisories for muskellunge. To maintain healthy muskellunge populations, the Ministry of Natural Resources encourages catch and release of this species as it generally cannot sustain heavy fishing pressure. If you do wish to keep a legal-sized muskellunge for consumption, it will likely have elevated mercury levels, and should not be consumed by women of child-bearing age and children under 15. Trophy-sized muskellunge usually have very high mercury levels and should not be consumed by anyone."