Perch And Fog

musky66

Got out with a buddy yesterday for some great Perch action. We launched at Sibbalds Point and headed out to the island. Many boats were already out there. Tossing small tube jigs etc. and moving them slowly put many fish in the boat. Only a few jumbos, but Perch were very plentiful. The fog rolled in about midmorning and made for a stressful ride back to the launch. We were heading in the right direction but with near zero visability it was kinda hairy. We ended up following the Island ferry back to the mainland and then following the shoreline back to the truck. I will have to take my son out there next season as it's only about 20 minutes from our house.

Don't know if all of them have it, but my old Eagle AccuNav Sport GPS had a plot trail on it. Saved our butts a few years back. Launched out of Grand Portage on the west shore of superior. Shallow bay, with an island in the middle before hitting the open lake. Got out there to be greeted by 6 ft. rollers. Tried to downrig, but it was a no go really. Then the fog came inshore.

We just followed the plot trail back in, and finally saw land about 100 metres before reaching the launch, and it took us a good 45 minutes to go back in, but only 10 min. to get out originally.

Man, its such a wierd feeling to be surrounded by fog without any shoreline visible.

Just remember guys - GPS will get you back to shore in heavy fog - but - it dosen't show you other boats lost in the fog looking for shore.

Common sense should still be used. I was almost run down one time by a genius coming in at about 30 mph in almost zero visability. When I met up with him at the dock his only reply was " No problem man - I got gps and knew right where I was going".

Some people are TOO STUPID to be allowed to fish!!!

Remember - its what you can't see that will hurt you.

Don

Hey musky66 we were out that morning also, started off clear and warm, but by 11:00 the temp dropped and that brought out that crazy fog. There were 22 boats out there when I counted and slowly we watched as they were swallowed up by the fog.

Steady perch action but nothing over 12 inches. We also kept having the loons coming around and the fish would hide for cover. You can see one of them in the shot below.

My GPS is always on when I’m crossing from the park to the fishing area, since you have to cross over the shallow spot near sand island. So I just used the same track when it was foggy for the ride back. With out it, I wouldn’t of even known where shore was…that was some fog. Some guys were fishing real close to the ferry crossing, kind of crazy when you can hear the ferry motor but can’t see the ferry.

The last pic shows how clear the water is, its taken in 14 feet of water. Fun to watch the perch slam the lure below the boat. :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers

Aron

fog.jpg

carlo.jpg

14 Feet down

14feet.jpg