Cedar Strip canoes

BFSC Kevin

I was looking for a canoe and someone emailed me about a cedarstrip.

He made it himself and showed me some pictures of it. I thought it was a very reasonable price.

and here are the details

Length 15'

· Maximum beam 36"

· Beam waterline 33"

· Beam gunnel 34"

· Bow height 19.5"

· Centre Depth 13"

· Draft 4"

· Displacement 345 lbs.

· Wetted surface 25.9 sq.ft.

· Weight to immerse 122 lb/in

· Prismatic coefficient .543

· Weight 45 to 50 lb

· Keel-less or shoe keel *edit* it's keel-less

Made from bear mountain canoe plans.

Whatcha think?

What would be a avg price for one?

BUt looking at it, displacement of 345lb, that means the max weight right? I don't know if I have my gf and my trolling motor, that might be too much...

Edited by kevin

I bought a canoe last year. I went with a kevlar off ebay. I wanted the kevlar for partaging. The thing about cedar strip is that they are beautiful !!!!but there is maintenance every year so I am told. you have to keep the finish up on them on the inside and out. They are heavy if you portage.. and if you punch a hole in them ...you have big troubles.

If I was to buy a canoe the first thing I would do is find out when Algonquin is have their rental sale. I would get up there first thing in the morning and pick out their best or least damaged canoe from last year...17 foot kevlar for 750...approx.

anyway that's what I would do if I was buying a canoe again.

Went to the "bear mountain canoe" site and I love it. I guess it's the "Bob Special". It's rated as a recreational or quiet water canoe. As long as your plans don't include whitewater or bashing off rocks constantly (Grand River LOL) it should be a great canoe.Not only that but it'll be beautiful. I'd say if it's reasonable buy it. As far as the weight, that boat is really light. Just for comparisons sake, my 16' Novacraft Prospector in Royalex (layered ABS laminate that is REALLY TOUGH) weighs 74 lbs. The same 16' Prospector in Kevlar weighs 58lbs. So 45-50 lbs would feel really light in comparison. Actually,that would be a dream although I'm sure the way we've used it your cedar strip would look terrble (thanks to the Grand River) by now. We've had fun it it though. As far as the weight I guess you'll have to figure that out. Mine has a capacity of 1000lbs. It's perfect for solo, but if you're going with only one other person and it wasn't totally loaded down I bet it'd be fine. What are you going to use it for Kevin?

Sorry, I think I made it a bit confusing. He is selling me a canoe.

But maybe I will look into making one if I really have time and skills to.

I think it is pretty light at only 45lbs.

I'll be using it for fishing and just canoeing around.

But if I were to use it for fishing, I don't think it'd be too good to mount a motor these kinds of canoes..

I'd be afraid of it cracking/snapping or just plain scratching it!

Are we talking cedar canvas or cedar epoxy?

Cedar epoxy is very strong. I built a 16 foot prospector about 20 years ago and it has had motors on it and has been hauled all over Algonquin. I did a major overhaul last year and it looks like new.

45 pounds ....maybe (NOT if it is fiberglass) depends on the specs.

What do they want for it and how many has the guy built.

If you want to discuss details PM me.

The Bear Mountain site rocks. The guys there are experts on the build foru