Differences: Fly reel vs float reel?

wuchikubo

Hi everyone,

I usually fish with a spinning reel on my longer float rod. Not sure if I should take the jump to the center pin as I target various species of fish throughout the year.

I have an older fly reel that was part of a traveling kit combo fly/spinning (nothing fancy just something to take on long trips out of the country).

My question: What are the differences between a fly reel and a float reel? And their advantages and/or disadvantages (other than their price)?

I've seen and heard alot mentioning brands like Islander, Raven, and Okuma. None of which I have had the opportunity to handle.

Thanks for any insight!

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

I can tell you right now a flat reel will be much smoother... It also allows you to "freespool" and let line out at the same rate the river is flowing... fly reels usually use some sort of click and pawl system which causes there to be drag which If i am not mistaken float reels usually do not have although you can turn on the "clicker" to make some drag and stap freespooling.... as well teh method in which each is cast varies significantly because of the different uses of the reel

Float reel = Free spool + clicker (Expensive ones have optional drag - ie Angling Specialties)

Fly reel = Drag or click and pawl function (no free spool option)

The free spool nature of the float reel lets you pay line off the reel at the same speed as the river currents without doing much (you let go of the spool and the reel spins at the same speed as the float).

- You don't have to keep your bail open or manually pay out line to extend your drifts

- I can create a drag-free drift easier with a float reel (then again, I hardly ever fish with a spinning reel so it's down to practice).

- I can go from free-spool to total lock down instantly when fighting fish (you probably can with a spinning reel too)

- It's a blast to fight fish on when your hands are the drag

Disadvantages

- Pain to use in wind - better off using a spinning reel in high winds

- Casting takes practice

- It's heartbreaking every time you put a ding/dent/scratch in the palming ring

- Some models cost more than the GDP of African countries - But sooo sexy

- Bloody knuckles (Never happened to me but if you're new at it, watch out)

Edited by MJL

Also float reels, AKA centerpin reels, are usually a larger diameter than a typical fly reel with the exception of the big salmon fly reels. Float reels in the Great Lakes area are in the 4" to 5" diameter range and a fly reel for rivers and streams around here are 3" to 3 1/2" or so. As well, the line capacity of a float reel is huge compared to a fly reel as the spool is usually fairly deep. Fly reels may carry 100 yds. of backing and 30 yds. of fly line and a centerpin can have 200 yds. of backing and 2-300 yds. or more of mainling.

Float reels mostly have 2 handles while fly reels have 1 and sometimes a counterweight.

Most float reels have an exposed spool rim for palming. Some fly reels have a palming rim.

Most float reels have bearings which the spindle rides on and most fly reel shafts ride on a bushing.

As mentioned above the float reel has a definite purpose (allowing the line to ride with the current unimpeded) while in most cases the fly reel is only there to hold fly line, again other than in the heavy trout or salmon sizes even though a lot of fly reels down to 2 & 3 wt.'s have a disc drag.

You cannot use a fly reel to float fish and a float reel, even with a clicker, is not practical to use with a fly rod.

I started off with a fixed spool reel on a float rod and then used a centerpin all year round for trout, salmon, bass, walleye, pike and with great success. You can use a float reel and rod for any species residing in a river or creek.

The better float reels are in the $3-500 range

Actually I have not used the float gear in a couple of years, been fly fishing and loving it!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info so far, well it looks like I better start saving up for a center pin! Haha

For now the spinning reel will have to be it, at least I'll still be able to cast spoons with the current set up on the notty.

On the side, it looks like I should also put myself into a proper fly fishing course too!

Tight lines and hope to see more posts after the opener!

Stan