Rod Builders question

jedimaster

I have a couple V-rods and the cork is getting pretty slick, what's the best thing to correct this? Replace the cork altogether or can I sand them down and treat them with something?

Also I have another rod that I like but the epoxy is starting to crack around the guides, can I just put some blobs of epoxy on these or should I not worry about it?

I have a couple V-rods and the cork is getting pretty slick, what's the best thing to correct this? Replace the cork altogether or can I sand them down and treat them with something?

Also I have another rod that I like but the epoxy is starting to crack around the guides, can I just put some blobs of epoxy on these or should I not worry about it?

The cork is easy - mask off the reel seat, butt cap and other shiny parts with tape to protect them, then give the cork a quick sanding with medium, then fine grit paper. Don't worry about treating it with anything afterwards, just sand it as smooth as you like and you're all set.

Minor hairline cracks in the epoxy around the guides aren't uncommon among some brands of fishing rods. Major cracks are another matter though. If they're bad enough that water could get in underneath, or if the epoxy is starting to chip and flake away, then you should remove the guides and re-wrap them. It's easy to do yourself, but you may prefer to ask a rod builder like Spiel to quote on it. He does awesome work, and you know it will be done right.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie