Lamprey ID?

GreenCanada

Just caught what I believe to be a 22" lamprey in the Credit River. This was a first for me and I wasn't 100% positive it was an invasive sea lamprey so I released it after taking a few photographs.

Could anyone help me identify this for future reference?

Thanks

Rob

img1537b.th.jpg

img1536l.th.jpg

img1535f.th.jpg

Thanks for the help identifying this for me. I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. The next one won't be so lucky.

Cheers

Had this come up on the board recently. Make certain that you identify the species without question, because one of the other species that occurs here is protected.

Had this come up on the board recently. Make certain that you identify the species without question, because one of the other species that occurs here is protected.

I couldn't agree more. I always make sure to identify something before deciding to retain, especially when they may be a legally protected species.

:good:

Saw a blueish coloured lamprey dead in Bronte last night, was over a foot long (didn't have a camera and I wasn't going in to get it!). Have read a little on them and apprently they change to that colour when heading for the sea?