dipsy vs rigger

sonny

OK here's the question for all the erie and ontario fisherman,,,and before the question i know alot has to do with confidance and preferance,,,

I know alot of people only run dipsy's when trolling for varios species but i don't understand the benifits to them over long line rigging,,,maybe some of you could enlighten me on some specifics of the reason one might perform better then the other?

I find riggers spoke alote of fish on certain days ....and most boats you only have 2 riggers and useing dipsy will add more rods to your spread ...im a dipsy nut nothing like watching a King or a Walleye smoke a dipsy ..

Dipseys have there days when fish are temtative on your riggers. run them off the sides for bonus fish. If the fish are cracking don't bother and stick with the riggers.

With riggers you have absolute depth control, dipseys are a 5 = or - feet in depth.

Best to run both and let the fish tell you what they want!

You got that right...there is nothing like the smashing hit of a big king on a wire dipsey rod...it is simply violent...its amazing ,and like the guys above said i always will run both and let them tell ya what they want,and the dipsey can run right or left to the side of your boat so it goes out and away as the riggers just stay straight up and down if the fish are a little spooky some days they will only hit a dipsey...so its a personal choice but us salmon guys will mostly run both,....hope us guys are helping you...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

does running a dipsy take a special rod or can i just use my normal 6"6 walleye trolling rod? id like to give it a try this summer on some northere back lakes for walleye. also from dipsy/lure how many feet should i run?