Got laid off

lovetofish

I have recently got laid off and live near Jane and Sheppard. The Humber river runs very close by and I know the season opens on Saturday. Is there any fish to be had or should I go to the mouth of the humber? I've always wondered, but never really had time to check it out. Guess I do now. Thanks guys.

Lovetofish

Ps. I have a baitcast reel and I was going to try float fishing with it. Anyone ever try it?

I have recently got laid off and live near Jane and Sheppard. The Humber river runs very close by and I know the season opens on Saturday. Is there any fish to be had or should I go to the mouth of the humber? I've always wondered, but never really had time to check it out. Guess I do now. Thanks guys.

Lovetofish

Ps. I have a baitcast reel and I was going to try float fishing with it. Anyone ever try it?

Bring noseplugs! seriously it smells awful down there, might be better off chasing browns upstream.

I currently have 20lbs fluorocarbon on it because I was using it for trolling for walley. I'm guessing that is too heavy, so i was debating weather or not to put braid or mono? I know braid is way more sensitive and I would have to use a fluoro leader. Any thoughts?

I've never fished these species,

But if your float fishing with a baitcaster I'd use braid with a fluoro leader the length of the depth your want to achieve.

Braid floats, fluoro sinks like a rock.

Check out the MNR website or pick up a copy of the regs for the rest of your questions

http://viewer.zmags....8a2#/29e578a2/1

The actual books are available at baitshops, your local MNR offices, local convenience stores (in some cases)

Best of luck to you!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

I've never fished these species,

But if your float fishing with a baitcaster I'd use braid with a fluoro leader the length of the depth your want to achieve.

Braid floats, fluoro sinks like a rock.

Check out the MNR website or pick up a copy of the regs for the rest of your questions

http://viewer.zmags....8a2#/29e578a2/1

The actual books are available at baitshops, your local MNR offices, local convenience stores (in some cases)

Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks for your help. The link you posted was much better then the one i was using.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

What pound test would you run for the braid and the fluoro?

Thanks,

Lovetofish

Thanks for your help. The link you posted was much better then the one i was using.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_163615.html

Thanks,

Lovetofish

No problem, glad to help! But like previously mentioned, I never get to target those fish. Might wanna get some of the other to chime in for recommendations???

Depends on your set up etc I suppose, but I'd think it would depend where your fishing and the depth.

The heavier the braid, the more it floats. But the lighter the braid the better the fight will be.

I'd think 6-8lb braid would be good, and match the diameter up with the fluoro

With the smaller braid you can get great casts, and you could also use a hi vis to help as well.

Again, the fluoro leader would depend on what depth you wish to present your offerings

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

Thanks,

Lovetofish

Not to sure on the braid, maybe a 10 or 15 lbs, and around a 4 or 5 pound flouro. try throwing some spinners as well if you find it hard to float fish with a bait caster

Tight Lines

Do u know if u can fish in Claireville Conservation area?

Claireville I checked out last August just to have a look. Only the wide part not the creek. I entered through wild water kingdom gate and said i'm going to the water not the park and they had no problem with that. followed the path through to where the water is under Steeles. parked there and through a couple lures for the hell of it. under this bridge it kinda looks like skid row but no one else was there and it was about 6pm on a weekday.

as for upstream NW of of 50 and Steeles there's that path where i believe you can park and hike into the nature and eventually reach the creek. i seem to remember parking there once when i was young but not for fishing. there was an arm gate blocking further access but we parked in front the of the gate and wandered in.

and i've seen people fishing it on the east side of indian line by the dam when i drove by on the 427. not sure how they got access. i guess they could have taken indian line from ablion road access and parked along the road. the campground itself has a gate attendant but i asked her last year if i could drive in and have a look around and she said go ahead. i thought it was kinda bizarre to wanna stay in a campground beside a brown river you can't swim in surrounded by trains, planes, and automobiles. and there were tonnes of people and their campers there at that time.

and like the other guy said, i've read there is bass and pike in there but mostly it's bottom feeders. suckers, carp, small cats. they have an annual fishing day there for families in the reservoir.