Custom Rod Building Discussion

young_one

Recently I came across 25% off sale for St.Croix SCV blanks, and I asked myself why not try to build a custom rod by myself. I've been doing a lot of research and there are a considerable amount of information, also confused by the plethora of different opinions.

The basic components of rod construction are quite simple,(adhesive, cork, real-seat, guide wrapping, and epoxy finish) It's more of the technical aspect which I need expert advice on. (number of guides, micro guide sizing, guide spacing, spiral guide angling)

My wishlist specs: :thumbsup_anim:

- SCV Graphite Casting Rod 5C76MHMF-B-10S

- I intend to use this rod for pitching and flipping

- Ti/SS SiC Micro guides with spiral wrap

- 50-65lb PowerPro or other braided lines (braid-friendly guides)

I've browsed through many discussions on rodbuilding.org, Youtube videos, and custom rod building websites. It is amazing with little research how much information you can grasp right away on a conventional fishing rod. It has certainly give me new insights on how to pick fishing rods and an appreciation for higher grade components and craftsmanship.

Feel free to share your opinions and I would love to get to know other rod building enthusiast on OFC.

:Gonefishing:

Hi Young one.

While I've done many twist wraps over the years none have been on bass rods.

I will however answer to the best of my abilities any PM' enquiries you may have and will say at this point since this will be your first build, you might find "micros" a little tough to deal with as a beginner.