McRae point provinal park

archer379

Wife and I are planning a summer holiday. I have never fished simco and was wondring if anyone has ever stayed at McRae point pp. we are planing first week of Aug for 4or 5 days. Also is there any good areas to fish over in that part of the lake I will have my boat are other options is balsam lake

Nice little park with a great beach. Fishing is decent and you are close to Couch

McCrae is a pretty good park.Some of the upper sites have water access by pathway from each site.If you have a tinny that is a good option.There is a small dock area and pullup beach on the Mcphee bay side of the park.This is a much better spot to leave your boat if you plan on leaving it in.It's more protected.The boat launch is steep and the water is shallow and if there is any significant wind from the south it will be tough to get it out.Gotta watch the prop.Don't leave a boat tied up there,it will get slammed around.Strawberry Island is just across from the point.Bear in mind that there is a shoal running from the point to the island and as such you gotta keep your eyes open.There are bass and pike-lots of weeds around that shoal and perch are around the island and in Mcphee bay.There is a nice walking path along the east side that crosses up to the point and down to the launch/beach area.The boardwalk on the west side of the park is in dire need of repairs as of last year.The park does have a good beach area and gets lots of day users.

Sibbald is another great Simcoe park and has launching for I think about 6 boats at a time.Bass Pike Perch are all around that area.Huge beach and very busy.It is about another 30 mins from mcCrae pretty much the same as balsam just the opposite direction on 48.

Balsam has it all and a perfect launch and dock area hands down.It also has a good beach area.We live in Orillia and if we can get the extra day off it's Balsam period.Bass,musky,lots of panfish and now even pike are being caught.

Kerry

Edited by Kerry