Norfolk now owns Dover Marina

nautifish

From Brantford Expositor.

Norfolk takes over Port Dover marina.

The federal government has transferred ownership of the Port Dover Recreational Harbour Marina to Norfolk County - a move that will see more money flowing into county coffers.

"This is a big win for Norfolk County and Port Dover," Haldimand-Norfolk MP Diane Finley announced Tuesday morning at a news conference.

Finley, who is also Citizenship and Immigration minister, said the Port Dover community has played an active role in managing the harbour facility since it was built in 1983. Local ownership will see all the profit going to the county and provide more direct control.

"Norfolk will be able to move forward on its vision of what the facility can and should be," she said. "This is a good news celebration."

Mayor Dennis Travale said the ownership issue surfaced during discussions on the feasibility of a fast ferry connection between Port Dover and Erie, Pa. Although that proposal is now dead in the water, as far as Norfolk is concerned, the chance to acquire the marina and the adjacent lands and water was a positive result, Travale said.

"We're inheriting a multi-million dollar piece of property," he said. "This is a real jewel."

The recreational harbour facility includes about 35.5 hectares of property consisting of a breakwater system, service wharf structures, a floating dock system and a launching ramp. The property and assets have an estimated value of between $3.5 million and $5 million.

The marina operation, which includes slips for about 450 boats, generates about $1.1 million per year. This year, Norfolk's share of the pie was to be about $335,000. That amount will increase now that the county no longer has to pay 20 per cent of the gross revenue to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, as per the previous lease agreement.

As part of the transfer, Norfolk will receive $200,000 from the federal government for ongoing maintenance at the facility.

Travale hinted that plans are in the works for an expansion of the current facility but said details will be up to the marina board.

Marina manager Janet Blackburn said the board and the county will "have to discuss how big do we want to be."

Okay so a week ago i go down to what is a popular fishing spots not only for dover folk but people out of town also. When the perch come in alot of seniors fish this spot because it is usually not as crowded and alot easier access for them......So when i take a drive down there i find this....

marina-1.jpg

Now a week ago there was no trespassing sign on the fence nor was there a no public fishing sign.

Now as you can see they're is. Are they with in there rights to do this now it is owned by the county?

The next picture i have tryed to mark with a red line as best i can to give you an idea of the erea they have now denied us locals to fish....

marina1.jpg

And this next picture is the 1st dock that leads out to the water by the coast gaurd & they have this marked off also.

marina2.jpg

Our port dover derby starts a week on saterday and usually some tagged fish are dropped in this erea also...Now whether they are this yr i am still unsure. I am not sure why they would if it is not easily accesible now to fish......I was furious when i saw this.....Yet another great fishing spot being taking away from us. I really feel for those who do not have boats and can only fish from shore........Actually furious is putting it midly to be honest......So my question is are they with in they're rights to do this and deny fishing access to the public?

I would say they can pretty much do what they want.....Why they would do it is another question though!

Good luck..

Caper i was under the impression that if the county now owns it then does that not mean we do as in the public also?

Why?

Because they are expanding the marina as it says in the article i posted..... ;)

Actually the municipality cannot restrict fishing. Only the province or the feds can do that. It appears since the previous owners (government) had no problem with locals fishing, it would seem unlikely the municipality would have support for this.

Contact the town, find some sympathetic ears and start talking and making friends. Know who the proponents of the ban are. Ignore them for now until you have your allies in line. Then ask the MNR to help you by pointing you to the right area.

The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act prohibits the interference of people involved in fishing.

Make sure, though, you have all the facts prior to going off on anyone.

Also enlist the OFAH in this. IF you are in the same Zone as me I have the email addy of the Zone rep. There is alot of municiplaities trying to do this, and there has been alot of success in making them see the error of their ways.

The town can make it a land use issue, but, they cannot simply deny fishermen but allow others access. It is public land and they really can't do it.

They did the same thing at Port Stanley, fenced off the breakwall to keep people from falling in and drowning. I think it is more for insurance liability reasons than anything.But alot of people did fish from there,not sure if it is the same reason in Dover or not,but you can call the Municipal office and ask, Brian

Thanx so much rich......I APPRECIATE IT.....I did not think they could do this.....I know they're was a topic about this same kind of topic recently i tryed to look for it but could not find it and i wanted to read through it all again.....I was thinking of actually calling or writeing to our local newspaper.......I think this is totally discusting.....& i am mad as hell.

They did the same thing at Port Stanley, fenced off the breakwall to keep people from falling in and drowning. I think it is more for insurance liability reasons than anything.But alot of people did fish from there,not sure if it is the same reason in Dover or not,but you can call the Municipal office and ask, Brian

You are correct there are i beleive six boat slips in that erea where everyone fished from. No one has ever fallin in the water or drowned that i know of with in that erea.

The reason for it is because they want to build an additional 60 new boat slips & expand the size of the marina.

Sod the locals and the local fisherman its all about the $$$$

Alot of people walk down they're also and walk they're dogs. So that erea is not only used for just fishing folk.

Edited by nautifish

Caper i was under the impression that if the county now owns it then does that not mean we do as in the public also?

Wether the county owns it or the feds it's all the same, it's all public money. They can still restrict land access around the property. Not that I agree with it though, Hopefully it's just a temporary thing while they restructure..