Changing hooks

cynmar

I read the post on the Blue Fox hooks,and I've always wonderred how you determine what to replace the current hooks with. I've got some baits that I'd like to switch the trebles on from the original that have seen some use to for discussion purposes, some nice new trebles preferably red. How do you determine what hooks to buy so the bait still runs true?

Bill

Companies are finally putting good hooks on there lures. |For years they put garbage hooks on there lures. Rapala bought out a hook company ( name is on the tip of my brain ) and have been putting good hooks on for the last few years. I replace hooks if the fish I intend to fish for are large. I usally get the 2x strong ones. Also if they show any sort of corrosion or bending I replace them.

If it is spinners or spoons you are not likely to negatively impact the action with different hooks.

If it is a plug then you want to be a little more careful. For most you can go 1 size larger.

When I'm at the store I just grab another lure off the shelf and bring it over to the hooks and compare the sizes.