Brace Lake , Nakina

danz

http://www.bracelakeoutfitters.com/

I am going here with a group in the end of May for a week, in search of monster pike.

Has anyone been there and can you offer any advice you think may be helpful? Even if you have fishe other lakes in the area.

Lures--Do muskie lures work up there?, depths, etc. any tips at all.

Thanks again

Dan

Take a look at the post on this site regarding the Attawapiskat Anything those guys are using should work there as well as their advise.

I fished Ara/Meta/Brace once before and had an enjoyable trip.

You'll be in right part of the system for pike in the spring. Brace is much shallower.

In a nutshell smaller spinnerbaits up to 3/4oz, inline bucktails up to about an ounce, Johnson Silver Minnow spoons tipped with a grub and larger Doctor spoons are all great at provoking strikes.

If the fish are in the bays and neutral you'll need some 5-6" plastic swimbaits rigged weightless or 6" black or white reapers.

You definitely won't need musky sized stuff.

Thanks guys,

This is my first fly -in I am really pumped for it! There are pike up to 50" allegedly in the system.

So are you saying that big baits won't work, or that they are not necessary?

If they hit walleye while you are bringing thm in, you have to think they would hit a 9" bait?

Thanks guys,

This is my first fly -in I am really pumped for it! There are pike up to 50" allegedly in the system.

So are you saying that big baits won't work, or that they are not necessary?

If they hit walleye while you are bringing thm in, you have to think they would hit a 9" bait?

I'm not saying big baits won't work, just that slightly smaller baits will work better at least in my experience.

There's decent fish in that system no doubt but 50" fish may be a wee bit of a stretch.

There's at least 3 separate lodges and several outpost camps that operate on it.

Regardless you'll catch plenty of fish.

Our group flys in from Nakina yearly to different lakes (we haven't done Ara/ Meta though, but most are pretty similar). My fly in tackle box has gotten pretty simple

-lots of jigs (twister tails) for the walleye

-spoons, 4-6 inches long (you may not think much about spoons but they really work up there, big pike on average sized spoons, lots of walleye on the spoon also)

-some minnow baits (husky jerk, wally diver to get a little deeper etc)

I wouldn't bother with the big baits

1st trip is going to blow you away, it'll be a blast, give us a report when you get back

oh yeah, I'm sure the Brace Lk outfitter will give you maps/ spots/ advice etc., but if you're into it, get a copy of "Northern Ontario Fishing Guide" by Hines, Herringer and Jensen (I've seen it at Lebarons), good reading and they have a map with spots and report for Ara/ Meta/ Brace, it'll get you really pumped up

oh yeah, I'm sure the Brace Lk outfitter will give you maps/ spots/ advice etc., but if you're into it, get a copy of "Northern Ontario Fishing Guide" by Hines, Herringer and Jensen (I've seen it at Lebarons), good reading and they have a map with spots and report for Ara/ Meta/ Brace, it'll get you really pumped up

I'll second that book. It's a bit dated, but still valid and one of my favorites.